Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine

/ Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
I own a Kawasaki FH500V 17 horsepower engine on a walk behind brush mower. The carburetor on this engine needs to be adjusted. I have tried to adjust this carburetor to no avail. This carburetor has just two adjustments on it, if I am correct. The problem that I am having with this carburetor is that the governor goes up and down when the engine is running at top speed, and the engine doesn't run smooth like it should. My question is this: Is there some kind of adjustment that I need to do on the governor itself? If so, how do I so this? If anyone on the TBN knows how to adjust the carburetor and governor on this engine, please advise me.

A reply to this message would be most appreciated by anyone that knows anything about adjusting the carburetor on this engine.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the problem is, and eliminate it).

/ Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine
Surely as many people that come into the TBN from all over the country that someone knows something, or has worked on a carburetor on a Kawasaki FH500V 17 horsepower engine. At the present time, since my last post, I have worked more on the carburetor, and have gotten the engine running a lot better, but not as good as I want it to run YET. The problem that I was having with it was that the governor was going up and down and the engine wasn't running at smooth 3600 RPM at top speed like it should. I now have the engine running better by just tinkering around with the carburetor, and governor. I wish that I had a manual for this engine, and then I would know what the correct settings would be for the carburetor. Kawasaki engines this size are very hard to find manuals for. I have checked on eBay, and other places on the internet, and haven't found the correct manual for this engine. There must be some place that I can find a manual for this engine at.

Come on people let me know your pros and cons about you working on the carburetor of this Kawasaki engine. Surely, some of you that post on the TBN has worked on a carburetor to a engine like this.

Any replies to this subject would be most appreciated.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up uintil you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the problem is, and eliminate it).

/ Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine #3  
Last Summer I was having similar problems with the Kawasaki 19 HP engine on my new ZTR. I don't have the model number with me today.

I took it to a Kawasaki repair shop and they replaced the carb under warranty. The show owner said that Kawasaki was having a lot of problems with the original carb and that the only solution was replacement with a completely re-designed carb.

My recollection is that the engine model number is FH506V but I'm not sure. Perhaps they share the same carb.

Hope yours is still under warranty and you can take it in for replacement carb.

/ Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine #4  
How old is your equipment? I've got the same engine in a GT but it only has 11 hours and runs great so far.

/ Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine #5  
A large part of the time when a governor hunts like that there is dirt in the carb.

/ Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine
Joe1.....I bought this DR brush mower used with this 17 horsepower Kawasaki engine on it. I think the brush mower, and engine is 2, or 3 years old.

JerryG.....You could be right about the dirt in the carbuertor causing the governor to go up and down. I have sprayed carburetor cleaner into the carburetor, and it is running a lot better without the governor going up and down.

riches139.....Thanks for the website info on buying a manual for this 17 horsepower Kawasaki FH500V enigne.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the problem is, and eliminate it).

/ Kawasaki FH500V 17 Horsepower Engine #8  
I own a Kawasaki FH500V 17 horsepower engine on a walk behind brush mower. The carburetor on this engine needs to be adjusted. I have tried to adjust this carburetor to no avail. This carburetor has just two adjustments on it, if I am correct. The problem that I am having with this carburetor is that the governor goes up and down when the engine is running at top speed, and the engine doesn't run smooth like it should. My question is this: Is there some kind of adjustment that I need to do on the governor itself? If so, how do I so this? If anyone on the TBN knows how to adjust the carburetor and governor on this engine, please advise me.

A reply to this message would be most appreciated by anyone that knows anything about adjusting the carburetor on this engine.

Cabinholler

if you had the carb off you have to adjust the linkage plate @ idle and @ wot (wide open throttle).
Very strange things can happen and i am a smalle engine tech and this is the goofiest govenor set up yet.
i love my kaw on my snapper to death.
just scored 2 engines minus 1 of the blocks to rebuild.
know any buyers? good luck bud and i do have the manual here.
try 2 get back if not solved..