Grasshopper vs Hustler

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #1  

ajm

After viewing these forums for 2+ years, I have finally decided to post with a question. I am looking at 3 ZTRs to mow my 6.5 acres of which I mow about 5 regularly and all of it a few times a year. I have lots of trees to mow around. The 3 ztrs I'm looking at are:
1. Grasshopper 327/61, 27 hp Kawasaki, liquid cooled, 61" deck, 10.5 mph, $7600
2. Hustler Super Z, 27 hp Kohler, air cooled, 60" deck, 15 mph, $7500
3. Hustler Z, 27 hp Kohler, air cooled, 60" deck, 10 mph, $7000
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #2  
aj, In my Opinion, #1 The Super Z speed of 15mph will probably never be utilized although I love the machine.

#2 The whole hustler equipment line-up are all of good quality...

#3 I honestly don't anything about the grass hopper, but have heard good things about them on this forum...

#4 And most important IMO is to have a happy relationship with the seat and ride of the unit your mowing with... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif for sure!!

You will want a good shock absorbing weight adjustable seat as is used on the Super Z... Ferris also has a 4 wheel independant system ,but you didn't mention them...

My ZTR doesn't have one /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and although I mow as fast as I can tolerate it still isn't as fast as the machine will go, So I think the ride of a shock absorbing seat would let me increase my mowing speed... ( I am going to try a wheel barrow inner tube under my seat) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Edit: Welcome to TBN officially...

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #3  
I understand that the Hustler mowers are great mowers. I just do not have any personal experience with them. I do own two Grasshopper ZTR mowers though. I bought a 721D G2 mower about 6 or 7 years ago. I'd seen our local school corporation abuse the things for years, so I figured that they must be pretty tough. I mow about 10 acres or so of my lawn weekly. At the time I bought that mower, I also did several weekly mowing jobs for side work, and to help pay for the expense of the mower.

I think I have around a thousand hours on that mower now and have spent less than $50 on parts (other than oil and filters) in that time. I am on the 2nd set of blades, and each year I replace the neoprene bushings where the front mount deck attaches to the machine. Other than that, the thing has been fantastic. It will climb hills like a mountain goat and I've bounced it so hard on rough ground that it has blurred my vision. One of the best things about it is that my wife loves it and she ends up mowing the lawn quite often.

The bottom line is that I was so impressed with the Grasshopper mower that I bought another one this last spring. To no surprise of mine, it has been perfect.

There are a lot of good ZTR mowers out there. Not many of them are what I'd consider junk. For me, no other ZTR mower rode as nice as the Grasshopper (even the Ferris with 4 wheel independent suspension - I know because I actually bought one and kept it for a week before I traded it on my 2nd Grasshopper) and I've had zero issues in the first thousand hours with my first Grasshopper, so I am pretty sold on them. Good luck with whatever you get. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #4  
Dargo is referring to the front mount 'Hoppers. If you have a few challanges like things to get under, nasty terrain etc; you may want to be looking at those. I know they make them but have never even seen a midmount 'Hopper around here.

Back to your choices, I'd bet the quality is close enough, I'd say judge it this way:
Is there one that just feels right?
Do you have an engine preference? I'd sure think the liquid would = longevity but have heard that keeping the cooling clean on them is even more critical than clean fins on an air -cooled.
Do you like a certain dealer better? [If dealers are sparse, and you don't like wrenching move this one up a space or two]
Any finance offers help the decision?
etc. etc.

Try them out and have fun!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #5  
One more thing to ponder:

Are those trees trimmed high or "ground hugging" like evergreens or weepy things etc. In the latter case, you might want to have that Grasshopper dealer show you the front mounts; of course I think that's a few extra $$$ too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good Luck!

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler
All of the trees are trimmed high, I made sure of that as I've been mowing with a Cub Cadet 3204 garden tractor. Its a nice tractor, but it just takes me too long to mow. I have ruled out a front mount and am definitely going for a ztr. I'm not sure about the Kawasaki motor, I've heard parts cost more on this motor as compared to a Kohler. As for the location of these machines, they are at the same dealer.

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #7  
I just happen to own a Hustler 36" fastrak 15hp Kohler and a 322d Grashopper with 61" deck and both have their purpose.

I have not had any trouble out of either mowers, they are less than a year old..the Grashopper has 11hrs on it due to no rain and the Hustler has 8hrs.
Both are well built machines. I can mow in at top speed of 7mph on the Hustler in some areas but where I use the Grashopper I can only go 5-7 due to terrain.
That big 61" deck is great and really cut my mowing time in half, I was using a 60" RFM and I have way too many trees for that setup.

Since your goin with gas it would be a toss up between both machines.
You may want to check out the Hustler with the rear discharge deck..that looks interesting.

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #8  
High trees, were using a GT, and your options are from the same dealer! Way too easy......just play spin the bottle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually the frontmounts I was talking about [like the 700 series 'Hoppers] are "ZTR", but it doesn't sound like your conditions require the extra money anyway.

I'm really pleased with the torque of the Kaw, not that you're going to need it on 27HP. I have read [yeah, 15th hand info here? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif] about Kohler parts being more available and better priced, but really hope not to find out for a long time anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So it comes down to what feels the best, perhaps warranty, or $$$ [whether raw or financing perks] could be the final decision.

<font color="red">edit: one more really dumb question: I don't see any reason to add more choices to your selections, but since you have the CC garden tractor, thought perhaps a M60 Tank would be in the mix </font>

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #9  
I was using my 1971 Allis Chalmers 616. 16hp. onan engine with 60" belly mower. I loved mowing with the tractor but even it being hydrostatic just takes me too long to mow all my grass. I bought the Hustler SuperZ 52" deck because I have a cemetary and it fits between the graves and also on my 5x10 trailer. Even with 52" I cut so much faster I find myself looking for grass to cut. The yard looks neater mowed with the Hustler because it slings the clippings so far. I bought the SuperZ because the pumps were so much bigger and the price wasnt that much more. The seat is grey and has settings for the weight of the rider. It is really comfortable, cool, and relaxing. I have some vineyards I cut under and around and it is very fast and maneuverable.

/ Grasshopper vs Hustler #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After viewing these forums for 2+ years, I have finally decided to post with a question.)</font>

<font color="red"> How did you restrain yourself for so long!!??

I vote for either Hustler. I have the Hustler FasTrac 52/20 and like it better each day!

However I would not buy the Super for its extra speed. That is really most used by commercial mowers to travel quickly around subdivisions between jobs. 10mph is very fast for actual mowing! My 52/20 cuts a its top speed of 7mph which seems to be the fastest speed to go and still get a quality cut. To finish the job quicker, I'd buy the Z with the 72" Deck. There are other features of the Super Z that may be worthwhile to you, but don't just buy it for the extra speed.</font>