14 hp B&S OHV Compression Release

/ 14 hp B&S OHV Compression Release #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I'm little disgusted with B&S. There repair manual barely addresses the compression release little alone mention that it's a starter eater if it goes out. I fried one starter and was going for the second. I could get the engine to spin just fine with plug removed, with plug installed it just tried to turn but couldn't. I had no idea of a compression release and the local shop (a major regional distributor for B&S) didn't have a clue and just wanted to keep selling me starters. There at the least could more reference to compression releases on starting trouble shooting, so a fellow would know. I want to know if there is a extra heavy duty starter I can buy and not have to worry with a broken spring on the camshaft compression release. I would consider replacing the engine with a different model that didn't have that little time bomb on it. What engine would be a good replacement? bjr

/ 14 hp B&S OHV Compression Release #2  
Just read this & am wondering if you found out if the compression release was indeed your problem? Valve adjustment is crucial on these OHV engines & if they aren't right, they will give the same symptoms that you described.