Weed Eater brush cutter

/ Weed Eater brush cutter #1  

theboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HST
What is the suggestion of a brush whacker thing for my weed eater, a Shimanio (sp) 25. I have a tractor and bush hog but I dare not take a tractor on that part of the hillside.
Mostly under undergrowth...briars etc.

Bluegrass, Pick It Up!

/ Weed Eater brush cutter #2  
If I understand you right, you want to know what type of blade to use on your Shimano
for heavy brush & briars. I use a three prong type blade on my Stihl FS85. The Stihl has
a straight shaft & bicycle type handlebars with strap. This blade works alot better than
the round blade that has the few small cutters around it. You may have to check if you
can use this type blade on your Shimano.

/ Weed Eater brush cutter #3  
Molerj, I have an FS85 and use the circular blade, but I don't have the handle bars. The circular blade seems to work fine, but is the 3 prong more aggressive, and thus needing the handle bars?

Alan L., TX

/ Weed Eater brush cutter #4  
Alan, Went out in the garage & my brushcutter is a FS81. The
3 prong blade seems to cut alot faster than the circular blade. Worked side by side with a friend using the circular & I cut alot more than him. The handlebars with the strap & the straight shaft makes working in the heavy brush alot easier. I've had this Stihl for about 15 yrs. & it has done alot of work.

/ Weed Eater brush cutter #5  
I use a push type string trimmer on those parts of the property I would not want to take the mower. dr-trimmer claims to have invented them. Mine isn't a dr trimmer and came from sears. They 'claim' that the push type string trimmers will do everything that a blade on a hand held trimmer will and is a lot safer. I do know that I feel a lot safer pushing that trimmer than I would swinging a buzz box with a blade. And, i will admit, I have 'let go' of it a time or two and collected it at the bottom of the hill when things got a little hairy. It was fine, and so was I. Lots of people seem to swear by the powered units for hills you wouldn't want to drive a tractor on.

Before I got the 4 hp push behind string trimmer, I used the hedge trimmer attachment on my ryobi 'click' trimmer. I found that it cut just as fast (if not faster) than the string attachment on thick stuff and the 'quick replacement' style put it far enough out that I did not have to bend "too much" to use it.

If you don't have much hillside, you might try using a power hedge trimmer. If you have a lot of it, consider a dr-trimmer or equivalent. I like my sears trimmer a heck of a lot more than my ryobi trimmer. It is quieter, more powerful, easier to use, I change string a lot less often and will push it places I won't go myself which I would have to go if I were using a weed eater. (hence more than once getting it too far down the hill to pull back up).