is kohler courage that bad compared to the command

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #1  

edrock

hi, i'm looking to buy a cub 1045 20 hp. w/ 46" deck, or a 1046 w/ 23hp. twin and 46" deck. both have the courage motors in them. do you think i can still find a twin with the command in it? i heard some bad things about the courage. is the courage a descent engine or are these just rumors.

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #2  
Did you hear about the KOHLER Courage™ Warranty?

It has a Limited 2 Year Engine Warranty

Kohler Co. warrants to the original retail consumer that each new COURAGE™ engine sold by Kohler Co. will be free from manufacturing defects in materials or workmanship in normal residential homeowner service for a period of two (2) years from date of purchase, provided it is operated and maintained in accordance with Kohler Co.'s instructions and manuals. If used commercially the COURAGE™ engine is covered by a 90 day limited warranty.

Now, I don't know what you've heard, but if something is going to go wrong with an engine, it will probably happen within the warranty period.
Kohler Engines

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #3  
I don't know of anything wrong with them per se; as just pointed out, those things should fall under the warranty period.

That said, it really needs to come down to application. If a 1000 series unit is the right tool for you (mowing maybe an hour every week, and never cutting more than a few inches, or pulling hard up & down hills while mowing); the engine is likely well matched.

On the other hand if you need that thing to run several hours at a time; plan to torque it hard, or you expect 2000 hours out of it; well, I wouldn't try it with that mower or that engine.

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #4  
Cub Cadet is giving a factory covered warranty of 3 years on the Courage engines above that of the 2 year warranty from Kohler. But, the fact remains according to dealers I have talked to and the information available- The Courage is a 750 hour rated engine compared to 2000+ hour rating on the Command. I have confirmed this, and it is correct.

As most of the light LT's the Courage is in will run 20 hours or less a year in light residental service as per design, both Cub and Kohler know they will last the year warranty period easily. But, there is also an hour useage limit on the Courage engine in the 1000 series CC's of 120 hours- something to watch if you are attempting to use the machine for more work than it was designed for... about cutting one acre of lawn 20 times a season. I was told this hour warranty limit was implimented to prevent the light machines being warranteed for commercial use.

-Fordlords-

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #5  
Whether the engine is good or bad is not really the question....the question should be...will it do what it is intended to do? Different grades of equipment, like any tool, is built with a market in mind. Many people (most it seems) don't need a commercial quality tool (or tractor) but only want the convenience of a riding mower, with the look of a tractor so they can mow their 3/4 acre yard quickly. They don't want to spend $5k plus on a tractor with power steering, hydraulic lift etc and a 2000 plus TBO engine. So, appropriately, equipment manufacturers recognize that market segment and produce a lighter built and less expensive alternative so they can have the mower they need. It really all boils down to...using the correct tool for the job. When the incorrect tool is chosen, that is where trouble begins. I don't think any of the manufacturers purposely build equipment which is sub-standard. They want repeat customers. If you look at JD ads...they market their equipment based upon how it will be used, making it clear up front what the intended purpose and limits are of their equipment.
Kohler has been a reputable company, like Briggs and Stratton and others and has been around a long time. Their engines are tools and if used and maintained as intended, will last a long time. Mostly it falls upon the consumer who uses the product.

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #6  
I have to say this is very true. Although I don't personally care for the cheapo machines, if used for their intended purposes and maintained, they last a darn long time, as confirmed by our Craftsman LT with 12 HP Kohler Command. It is used for our light mowing chores and going on its 10th season still working like new. Kept clean and maintained, I know I could easily get 10 years or more out of a 1000 series Cub if mowing an acre or less. The ones who have most of the problems are the people who try to pull tree stumps out with them, never clean under their mower decks, and never check or change their oil.

-Fordlords-

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #7  
No need to change the oil. It is good for 35,000 miles and I know I will never drive my riding mower that far /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ is kohler courage that bad compared to the command #8  
Well Ben...if you want that motor to last as long as the rest of the tractor...I would advise changing it sooner than the owners manual requires. On my new Kohler, they want me to change it at 5 hours to start out....then 100 hours after that. I will tell you right now...I am not going to wait for 100 hours to pass before changing that oil and filter. Air cooled motors run pretty hot unlike their liquid cooled cousins...getting some fresh oil makes alot of difference. Oil designed for air cooled engines is something to consider also when you are maintaining a $2000+ motor. Another factor....mowing equipment is being used in extremely dirty conditions with grass and dirt being thrown all over. Even with excellent air filtering, some of it is bound to get in the engine at some point. Changing the air filter instead of just blowing the dirt out of it would be a real good idea. Oil, oil and air filters and even fuel filters are extremely inexpensive when you consider the expense of either a engine overhaul or replacement.
This got off the subject some....concerning the Courage vs. Command engines. I think the Command is a considerable step up for $100. I would go for the Command engine.