Lawn Sweeper

/ Lawn Sweeper #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
I mow with a little Toro ZTR with no grass catcher. There are times I'd like to collect the clippings, and in the Fall I'd like something to pick up leaves without having to rake. Some parts of the yard also appear to need dethatching. Has anyone used one of these Lawn Sweepers and do they really work? I'm also considering the optional dethatcher.

/ Lawn Sweeper #2  
Is your ZTR side or rear discharge? I have the 42" sears sweeper. It does a pretty good job of sweeping between the wheels but under the wheels things get packed. I have some problems with the height adjustment not staying because of the angle needed for the grass I have. Leaves fill the hopper quick.

/ Lawn Sweeper
Jeff, my ZTR is a side discharge, but has the blocking attachment to make a mulching mower instead of discharge. And I'm considering the 38" sweeper because the mower is just a 38" and it would be easier to go through a gate in the fence.

/ Lawn Sweeper #4  
My JD455 is side discharge also. When I cut with the idea of sweeping I windrow the clippings and go back a pick up the grass later rather than trying to cut and sweep at the same time. It does not make many rows to pick up.

/ Lawn Sweeper #5  
Bird, I have had one for long enough to wear out the bearings and had to rebuild it. Should have just bought a new one. It was priceless down east when I had 60-70 pines in the yard. Did a great job on pine needles. Where I live now I have mostly willow oaks (pin oaks, water oaks) , hickory and other hardwoods. The only draw back is when you are pulling through tall grass with an empty bin. The brushes may drag on the grass and slide the wheels. You just have to raise it up a little. I would buy another one. I don't know anything about the dethatcher.

/ Lawn Sweeper #6  
I have a 42" 17 Cu Foot sweeper made by Brinly. It does a great job on grass clippings, pine needles and pine cones as well. I paid ~ $200 for it at Home Depot, seems very well made. I've used it for 2 seasons so far to sweep my lawn (~2 acres) and long driveway. Lots and lots of pines.

/ Lawn Sweeper
I appreciate all the responses. I really wanted to see one before buying and stopped at two Sears stores today and neither had them in stock. And on their website they show to not have them available at any of the three stores closest to me, so I went ahead and ordered them for home delivery in spite of the $50 home delivery fee. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Lawn Sweeper #8  
Hello Mr Bird,

I have owned the Sears model sweeper for about 13 years. I use it primarily for grass clippings. And it works great for it.

For leaves, a sweeper is less than desirable since it cannot shread. I found I was spending more time dumping the basket than sweeping leaves.

After 13 years I will have to replace the brushes. I noticed just today about half of the bristles were broken off.

For grass a sweeper is cost effective. For Fall leaves, I'd consider a Cyclone vacuum etc. .

/ Lawn Sweeper #9  
I was wondering whether a sweeper will pick up acorns, hickory shells and small sticks?

Chris