Best used garden tractor for ~$3000

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #1  

Dingo

I am looking to purchase a used garden tractor for mowing a 2 acre lot. I will also use the tractor for tilling and snow blowing. I dont know much about tractors and would like some advice regarding which brands and models I should look at.

Thanks.

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #2  
I'd look for a used Deere 300 series or if you are lucky to find one under $3000, a 400 series tractor. A Cub Cadet 2500 or 3000 series would be nice as well. There are other great trractors too, but those are what I'm most familiar with.

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #3  
WOW! I thought some more folks would pop in here with recommendations. To add to my short list of before, I'd look at garden tractors a couple of years old from the following manufacturers
Deere GT or GX or 300 or 400 series
Cub Cadet 2500 series, 3000 series
Simplicity and it's clones from AGCO and Massey Ferguson
Wheelhorse 300 classic series
Ingersoll 3000 and 4000 series

And if your $3000 is just for the tractor (not including attachments) then you can afford a NEW Sears GT5000 (or whatever they changed the model nimber to this year) or it's clones from Husqvarna and Poulan

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000
Joe,

Thanks for your opinion. I too thought I would have gotten more responses. Anyway, a friend of a friend is selling a Scotts GT2554 with a 30" tiller for $3500. The tractor only has 70 hours on it and he only used the tiller once. I have read that John Deere made the Scotts tractors, but I'm not sure what the JD equivalent is to the GT2554. Do you think this would be a good deal? I feel the price may be a little high b/c I have read that Scotts tractors where heavily discounted by Home Dept. when they were discontinued, but I don't really know.

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #5  
sounds like a perfect match for what you are looking for:

used GT thread /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #6  
That Scotts tractor is an excellent GT. Made by John Deere, they were made as strong as the Deere GT line of tractors- G100 series.

I'd say see if you can work a few hundred off, but the name isn't as important here as the quality. That mower is a fine machine.

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000
Another option is a used JD 325 at a local JD dealer. It is a '95 with 1300 hours for $2500. In general, how many hours will an average garden tractor last? Also, does someone publish a blue book or something similar for garden tractors? I have seen them for farm equipment but nothing for garden tractors. Finally, is there a web site that sets forth specs and such for discountined garden tractors? JD has good information for non-current models on its web site, but cub cadet and others dont have anything on theirs.

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #8  
So what did you ever end up getting???

I just picked me up a Scotts 2554 with the snow thrower on it... So far i Really like it, but I am comming from an 1965 cub cadet 70... :D

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #9  
can you get Sabre and SCott's parts from a JD dealer still? JD was in cahoots with Homelite for a while. Do theystill sell Homelite parts?

/ Best used garden tractor for ~$3000 #10  
GreenRules said:
can you get Sabre and SCott's parts from a JD dealer still? JD was in cahoots with Homelite for a while. Do theystill sell Homelite parts?
Not sure about the sabre, but so far all the parts i've looked up(belts, filters ect...) are the same as the G100. Even the owners manuals look the same, other than the pictures. The Snow thrower i have is the same as the deere unit for the G100 also... So far I have no complaints...