hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
The lawn tractors with automatic transmissions offer the foot pedal or the hand lever. I have thought through most everything else I want, and think I want a foot pedal instead of the lever, but have no experience so am asking for advice re this. What is generallly preferred and what are pros and cons of each. thanks.

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever #2  
Foot Petal:

+Keep both of your hands on the wheel
+keeps your foot near the brake petal
-can fatigue your foot
-if toe/heel paddle it is a PIA /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Lever:

+builtin cruise control
- lazy brake foot (tend to bull leg back versus forward)
- tree branches can snag it and *oops*

Test drive both and then decide....

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever #3  
I MUCH prefer the foot pedal. This is like everything else though, you won't know which you prefer until you test them both. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lawrence

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever #4  
Get one with real cruise control. It is the best of both worlds.

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever #5  
I have both kinds. I greatly prefer the regular Xmission over the hydro as I mow on slopes and I have to continually adjust the speed control to maintain a even mowing speed. Mine has a hand control and this requires that I have to "give it gas" to go up a grade and then have to pull it back almost to a stop when turning and going down hill again.

This prevents me from having a "cool one" in my hands and is a drag. Give me gears on hilly terain.

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever #6  
captinjack, you are the first person I can recall arguing the gear is better on hills the hydro. I couldn't disagree more. If you are mowing hill the hydro is the only way to go. There are some areas where gear is better, hills are not where.

To the original question, I have a hand leave and have used a foot. Much prefer the foot.

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever #7  
I have used both pedal and lever on hills and haven't had a problem with either. The only problem I can think of is a lever does get in the way of holding your drink. But I don't drink while mowing, I don't like grass clippings and dust in my drink /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ hydrostatic automatics: foot pedal vs lever
Thanks to all of you. I have located a Husqvarna with a 20hp Kohler with foot pedal, 42 " deck and so on. Also has an electric pto switch instead of the lever - I found the lever a bit awkward to use. Also it is very comfortable much more so than a number of other lawn tractors I have looked at. Will order it tomorrow. Thanks again.