Liquid or granular residential lawn care?

/ Liquid or granular residential lawn care? #1  

dholly

Platinum Member
Tractor
B7610HST
Looking for some educated opinions (are there any other kind? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

I need to begin an ongoing grub, weed n' feed, etc., program for about 3-1/2ac. of established residential lawn. Originally eyeballing a 40gal 3-pt, 10' boom sprayer, but now I wonder if I'm better off using a broadcast spreader due to obstacles. Most lawn area is open, but there are plenty of areas that might pose problems for a sprayer (pic shows one). Equipment costs are about the same, but liquid sure sounds easier... cleaner, no heavy lifting, easy storage, etc. A quick search for liquid vs. granular application preference and price comparison didn't come up with much. Now I'm having a devil of a time trying to decide if liquid offers sufficient convenience to offset the obstacle hassle.

Any words of wisdom? Time to get moving on this, the grass is starting to grow!

Thanks

Attachments

• 865233-CIMG2185_0003.jpg
    865233-CIMG2185_0003.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 584
   / Liquid or granular residential lawn care? #2  
dholly,

Use both. Granular around your obstacles, and liquid in your open areas. Try it once, and see what the results are. I have 3 acres of tall fescue here in northeastern Ohio. I've always used granular products. Mainly Scotts products. What brand of liquid product are wanting to use? I've never compared the cost difference between granular to liquid.

arthurb,

/ Liquid or granular residential lawn care?
I honestly hadn't even thought about that. Guess I assumed it was just easier trying to do it once with the same equipment. There are plenty of 'homebrew' weed n' feed concoctions discussed on TBN, but I can't tell you what the actual cost would be. Kinda hoping someone could give a reasonable 'rule-of'thumb' guesstimate per acre for each. Really need to check ag supply around the area and sharpen a pencil I suppose. All I know is last time put down granular for a lawn about half this size, I about had to dip into the retirement account. Only mega-expenso bags left on the box-store shelves. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Liquid or granular residential lawn care? #4  
dholly,

There are advantages and disadvanteges to both methods. In short, spraying is better for weed control and granular is better for fertilization. Granular products need to be spread on a wet lawn for effective weed control.....but granular products feed the lawn slower than liquids and feed for a longer period of time. Spraying can be done on a dry lawn and more effectively kills weeds due to the fact that it covers the weeds better than the granulars...but spraying feeds quickly and does not feed over a period of time as granulars do. Your lawn will stay greener longer using granular.

Spraying does have one big advantage over granular. There are certain weeds that can not be controlled by granular products (wild onion is one I had a big problem with). There are very few that liquid products can't tackle. As far as price difference, I have found liquids to be much less expensive but that is going to depend on your supplier.

I personally use both methods, granular for feeding and spraying for weeds. If I had to choose one over the other I would go with liquid spraying. It's much easier to apply and work with. You can also add a dye to the mix which makes it real easy to apply.

Hope this sheds some light.

Jeff

/ Liquid or granular residential lawn care? #5  
dholly,

I know what you mean when you're talking about the cost for these products. I shop around for the best deal for Scotts product line. Based on the directions from these fertilizer manufacturers you're suppose to use 3, 15,000 sq. ft. bags per acre. Because of the cost factor I only use 1, 15,000 sq. ft. bag per acre. I just can't afford to buy the recommended amount.

I'd rather use the granular product based on what jeffmazz said how granular feeds slower and longer. Also, I have well water as my water source. I try to conserve my water supply for home use only. I don't like the idea of using my well water to mix with a liquid weed and feed to cover 3 acres.

My main problem is crabgrass and other broadleaf weed control. I mix evenly together the crabgrass preventer with the weed and feed, and put it down all at one time. I've been doing this for 3 years now, and I've received decent results. I just wish I could afford to buy more to apply a heavier coverage. I've tried cheaper priced brands, but I wouldn't receive the same results as I have with Scotts. I'm winning the battle with the weeds, but it's taking a little longer time then I want.

arthurb,

/ Liquid or granular residential lawn care? #6  
arthurb,

IF You can get Your hand on a decent sprayer, Drive75 will take care of Crabgrass.

I used a water soluble powder last Fall with excellent results. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thnks for the Drive75 tip, hadn't found that mentioned in any of my searchs.

Jeff and arthurb - THIS THREAD contained good info re: liquid products and cost estimates. I've concluded the liquid weed control is where I'm going, so I'll also begin what seems to be a good liquid fert knowing I might not get as good, or as long-lasting, result. Too much lawn and not enough 'green' for the granular, if you get my drift. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's the equipment plan... $450 buys the Supreme 40gal Fimco spot sprayer on a trailer (about the same as the 3-pt model). I am simply going to make a platform to slip into the 2" reciever to use it on my existing 3-pt frame, and add a homemade 10' boom behind (I want the new trailer for a GenSet project I'm working on). Then, because running a large boom is going to be problematic in certain areas, I thought I'd also rig up a shorter 3 nozzle boom on front of the little JD GT275 lawn tractor ala beenthere's setup. I have a pull behind lawn cart I can simply set the tank in already to tow it behind. If I do this right, I might actually get FOUR birds with one stone. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Liquid or granular residential lawn care? #8  
The other advantage of granular is that you're not breathing it in. All these products are dangerous. While I suspect few people wear proper gear while spraying, if you value long life (and the long life of your wife, kids and pets) do take precautions that exceed the manufacturer's absolute minimum recommendations.

Some will say, "Oh heck, I've been doing this for years and no problem," or "My pappy did this for a hundred years and lived to be 109," but people always use that excuse for smoking or not using the ROPS too.

Cliff

I would expect granular to drift less, but I'm hoping properly positioned boom nozzles (not boomless nozzles) will do the job without a lot of drift. I was amazed a few years back when in not much wind at all, a neighbor succeeded in putting more granular on our front yard than his with a broadcast spreader. Maybe he was using some kind of fine crush fertilizer or something, but he sent the whole family and 3 dogs into the house right quick. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Whichever method one uses, no wind, proper protection and a bit of common courtesy seem like a requirement to me too.

/ Liquid or granular residential lawn care? #10  
dholly,

Sounds like a good plan. FYI, Tractor Supply has a 30 Gallon Trailer Sprayer on sale for $285.00. It comes witha 2.1 GPM 12 volt pump (60 PSI) and pressure regulator. It doesn't come with the boom set up but you can buy it seperately or, as you mentioned, make your own.

Jeff