1994 Cub Cadet 2160 problems

/ 1994 Cub Cadet 2160 problems #1  

epic6500sr

Tractor
Grasshopper 725 G2,321D and a John Deere L100
My neighbor has a Cub Cadet 2160 riding mower. Today he was mowing and he heard a loud bang and he looked behind him and his blade had completely come off and the belt had snapped. Now obviously this is not exactly safe to have blades coming off while mowing, especially when u r mowing grass free of any sticks, etc. I need to know if this is a malfuction that the dealer that put the blades and belt on should pay for or if its just something that happened and i should just put a new belt and a blade on for him. Thanks

/ 1994 Cub Cadet 2160 problems #2  
epic6500sr,

I would say the dealer should be held accountable for this, if they're the ones who did the replacement of the blades and belt. What is the time frame that the dealer did this work in? How long ago?

arthurb,

/ 1994 Cub Cadet 2160 problems
it was done about 120 hours ago, last season

/ 1994 Cub Cadet 2160 problems #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it was done about 120 hours ago, last season
)</font>

I can't imagine the dealer would be responsible for something that happened after 120 hrs. from their service. I could be wrong....

/ 1994 Cub Cadet 2160 problems #5  
120 hours ago on a machine that probably has 1000 hours on it? Did anything else break when the belt and blade came apart?

I'd be hard pressed to go after anyone when that kinda time has passed. One thing if after 5 hours, but a whole mowing season is quite another. Fact is, belts break and bolts loosen... I'm really surprised however that the blade didn't get a flutter to it and really make a rachet. My dingbat neighbor mowed for weeks with his mower, I thought his engine was going on him. Turns out, I hear him yelling because his blade came flying off and shot out from the mower some 20 feet. You should have heard this thing. Anyway, I'd just fix it for him and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1994 Cub Cadet 2160 problems
Ok well what i failed to mention is the fact that this lawn mower is a piece. In 12 years it has went through 3 pto clutches and through countless belts. What do you guys suggest should i just convince him to throw the whole machine away. Or should i trade it how much is it worth?
thanks