Lawn Tractor or ?

/ Lawn Tractor or ? #1  

SWB

Silver Member
Tractor
Case-IH DX35
I just built a house on about 4 acres of an old tomatoe field next to a salt marsh. It has a grove of live oaks and other trees along the marsh and I am planting trees along the sides of the property. I don't intend to put in a lawn anywhere but immediately around the house. I am currently mowing with a 5' bush hog on a Case DX35, which is great for mowing the open areas and along side of the trees. However to get in between the trees and close to them is a pain, even with a hydro tractor, since I keep having to stop and back up. I am considering buying a small lawn tractor like a John Deere L125 for the sole purpose of going from tree to tree and mowing around them. The ground is very bumpy and uneven and even bounces me around when I am on the tractor. I have ruled out a ZTR because of the unevennes of the ground, but I have questions about the durability and suitability of a JD 125 or similar. Will they hold up overall under these conditions? How do the decks hold up and do they have enough clearance to go over bumpy ground? Do the belts break often and how easy are they to change? What about the blades? What about the turning radius? I haven't seen figures for turning radius on these although you generally get them for a tractor. Any and all answers to these questions will help me decide. If there are other solutions to this problem that others have found, I would love to hear them. Thank you in advance for all your help.

/ Lawn Tractor or ? #2  
When I first moved out here, I had a JD LT155, and I worked that thing in ways that JD's engineers probably never intended. It never so much as gave me a hiccup. Engine cranked right up even after a couple of months of winter idle, and the deck would cut through really high grass as long as I didn't go too fast. I also did quite a bit of "clearing" new areas with it, simply by mowing with the deck all the way up. It had very good clearance. Never broke a belt. Only had two sets of blades, just for switch-out purposes. Didn't have a trailer at that time, but I don't doubt it would have pulled more than its share. Seems like the turning radius on those was about 14".

Looks like the current JD approximate model would be the X300. Sounds like your bumpy ground might make an L-series impractical, but that depends on your budget. But if all you're going to do with it is mow and maybe haul a little, I'd definitely look at the X300.

/ Lawn Tractor or ?
Thanks for your input. Is the x300 worth $1000 more? Will it last that much longer? Any other suggestions if I am willing to go that much more?

/ Lawn Tractor or ? #4  
In your case the X324, with four wheel steering, is the minimum I'd consider for your size property. This small tractor will be just what you'll need to mow around the trees you're planting. I'd also suggest you consider the X534 (also has four wheel steering) which has the capacity to run a 54 inch mower deck and is more feature laden, including power steering and deck lift.

Lastly, I'd recommend you reconsider a ZTR mower. I just bought one, and am mowing on very uneven terrain, so much so, I'm buying a seat suspension system to reduce the pounding yours truly is having to endure. The mower is fantastic, handling everything I've thrown at it with no problems. I've planted over two dozen trees and will plant many more over the next 18 months, and this mower will really help mow around them.

/ Lawn Tractor or ? #5  
I am not a big fan of the "L" series JD's. Unless you are really mowing a lot, I would probably not go ZTR, unless you are wanting to go another brand than JD. JD's ZTR's are really nice, but I get the impression you are looking for a supplemental, not primary, mower here. The cheapest JD would be the 717 which is likely more than you wish to spend. I would consider strongly the X300 series, as for probably a little less money than a ZTR and a little more than an "L", you would have something that would do a great job, forever, and do some other little tasks around the house that perhaps your CUT is too big for.

John M

/ Lawn Tractor or ?
You are right. I am looking for a supplemental piece of equipment, just for mowing around and between trees. My primary mower is my CUT with a 5' rotary cutter. Thanks for your input.

/ Lawn Tractor or ? #7  
You mentioned a lot of trees to trim around, so keep in mind that the mower deck will need to fit between the trees and other landscaping features you might have.