Tractor
    Kubota Grand L4330 hst

Default Cub Cadet 1554 price check

I am looking to buy lawn tractor and have a couple of questions. 1. What opinions do people have of this tractor(quality, durability, able to mow on a hillside)? 2. What would be a reasonable price for a used 2005 model with about 50 hours on it (my buddy has one he is trying to sell). I appreciate any and all responses.

John

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200

Default Re: Cub Cadet 1554 price check

Don't know anything about your questions except that I was at a dealer yesterday & he said Cub is owned by MTD now & that some models are Cubs and others are MTD's in Cub clothing. The ones with the round bumper bars in front were the Cub's. If you are looking at an MTD model, comparison shop; MTD makes mowers for several other brands.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Is it a GT or SLT? The SLT 1554 sells for $2600 new at TSC and the GT 1554 sells for $3k at TSC. Some Cub Cadet dealers will sell the SLT for $2600 also but I have not seen any lower then that around here. As for used I really don't know but you can price your offer accordingly and if he wants too much just buy a new one.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

My humble opinion and that of many others is if you want a Cub Cadet, get at least one of the 2000 series shaft driven tractors and stay away from the LT models with the belt driven hydros. The 2000's start at $3k, but are MUCH better machines than the 1000 or 1500's which are light duty lawn tractors. All Cub Cadets are built by MTD and have been since 1981, and the CC 1000/1500's are indeed very similar "cheap" machines to the ones MTD makes under their other product names. (Look at anything seeming cheap and the little blades of grass by the name and you have it!) The CC 2000-3000 GT's are MTD's highest end garden tractors and are proven performers. The lesser MTD/CC stuff is basically throwaway on par with Craftsman and Wal-Mart LT's and even the cheap JD LT's.

-Fordlords-

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I priced out the GT2554 at LaPortes and they wanted $4k for it which wasn't a bad price. But for what we were going to use it for the belt drive GT1554 we bought at TSC for $1k less was well worth it. Basically a heavy duty SLT. We looked at other mowers but for $2600-$3k the Cub had the best deal in terms of getting a hydro and motor that we liked. If I was going to actually use this machine for something other then just mowing I would have gone with the shaft drive GT 2554. I do have to go look at a friends older Cub that he wants to sell and might pick that up for our apartments.