Need to buy new mower for 2 acres

/ Need to buy new mower for 2 acres #1  

Safetyfast

We're building a house on two gently rolling acres with several young trees. I've used my father in laws commercial Toro ZTR, and he's about got me convinced to get rid of my early 80's Simplicity 4211, that just won't quit, and buy a ZTR. Price is an issue, and I'd prefer to not go much over $3000. Until I used his ZTR, I had planned to just buy a larger tractor. (Simplicity is only 11hp and 36, which I mow an acre with now)

I've looked at the Cub Cadet RZT50. Also saw a residential level Toro, but it looked to be cheaply made. I'm open to suggestions.

/ Need to buy new mower for 2 acres #2  
With having 2 acres, a residential model just isn't going to last. With that said, $3000 is really not enough to get yourself a decent ZTR for your needs -- unless you can find a used commercial model.

/ Need to buy new mower for 2 acres
What should I look at and budget then? I should have said the total lot is around 2 acres. There is a barn and house on it, so actually mowing will probably be less than 1 1/2 acres. I now mow a little more than an acre with an 11hp Simplicity with 36" deck.

/ Need to buy new mower for 2 acres #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( saw a residential level Toro, but it looked to be cheaply made )</font>

Hey, you're talking bad about my lawnmower. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But welcome to Tractorbynet. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And, yes, you can't really compare the residential models with the commercial models, but I don't think you'll find a new commercial model in the price range you mentioned. Actually, even my little Toro ZTR is overkill for the small lots I mow, and I've only had it since 8/30/04 so time will tell, but not a single problem or complaint so far.

/ Need to buy new mower for 2 acres
Don't expect to get a commercial for that price, just wondering what I should buy in that range, tractor or ZTR and model.

/ Need to buy new mower for 2 acres #6  
ZTR's at the $3K mark won't handle your yard for long. Go with a JD190C or Cub Cadet GT1554. Either will handle your yard competently. If you're not picky about control locations and such, pick the one that has the better dealer in your area. If both dealers are good, then check them both out and go with the one that impresses you the most.

/ Need to buy new mower for 2 acres #7  
For being purely heavy duty, I'd trust a tractor style in the $3-$4K range hands down over that price ZTR. Also, if you have "garden tasks" slated for it, the tractor wins.

BUT, you'll certainly appreciate the mowing and weedtrimming time savings of a ZTR. If mowing is the the only task, there are a few obstacles and the terain isn't just nasty, the ZTR is certainly preferable. On that note, I have a still unproven theory: if you can save half your mowing hours, that should significantly increase years for the engine (assuming same engine etc. etc. etc. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Have fun testing some machines!