Need Sprayer For Golf Cart

/ Need Sprayer For Golf Cart #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
Hey Guys, I would like to have some sort of setup on my golf cart so my wife could drive around our property and water various saplings, flowers, etc, without having to lug around a watering can that needs to be refilled too frequently.

I was thinking that one of those 12-volt sprayers that they make to mount on an ATV might work well, but I have never used one. I think that those ATV sprayers are made to spray fertilizers and weed or insect killers, etc. so I don't know if they would be ideal for just watering applications.

So I looked in my Northern Tool catalog and they seem to have some simple ATV sprayers between $100 and $150 dollars which seem reasonable enough, but I'm sure the shipping would be outrageous. Then I thought that Tractor Supply should have the same type sprayers so I checked out their website this morning. They do seem to have the same type sprayers, but the costs seem to be almost double of Notherns prices.

So what advice do you guys have to give me? Would a 12-volt ATV sprayer even work to water plants like I am thinking? Is it any cheaper to just by the tank and pump seperately and make one myself? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Spence

/ Need Sprayer For Golf Cart #2  
If you plan on spraying with a single wand, you'll probably need to modify the outlet to increase the flow. My 25 gallon sprayer has a 2 gallon per minute RV type pump on it. It takes a very long time to get to a half tank (about an hour or so) with the hand sprayer.
the outlet must be .2 (gpm gallons per minute) or less. That would not work to water plants. The 7 heads on the 140" boom sprayer each put out .2 gpm or 1.4 gpm and empty the tank in 18 minutes. Ideal for spraying, but inadequate for any meaningfull watering, except maybe to keep dust down.

If you do modify the want outlet, or even use a garden type hose and nozzle and go either with a sprayer or a pump. a 15 gallon tank won't last long. A 25 gallon tank would weigh around 225 lbs and still wouldn't last too long. You might be better with one or two 55 gallon drums mounted on a small flat bed trailer. Water and tank alone would be close to 500 lbs PER TANK. If your golf cart could handle a trailer of around 1,300 - 1,500 lbs, you might be alright that way.

Not knowing your property size, number of plants, etc. it's hard to give an intelligent answer. Heck, it's hard sometimes to give an intelligent answer even when I do know.

Good luck

/ Need Sprayer For Golf Cart
Thanks for the reply. My wife refills her watering can approximately 15-17 times each time she goes out to water on the golf cart. I think the watering can she uses is about 2 gallons of water. I'm sure she would use more water if it was more convenient and that is what I am trying to make happen for her. So if I got a 20 to 30 gallon tank with a 12-volt pump I think it would work fine. Even if she had to go refill it once or twice at least it would be less work than what she is doing now.

What I am trying to avoid is her having to constanly get off the golf cart and lift up the watering can to water each item, then drive back to the hose 15-17 times to refill. If she could just drive around and pull the trigger on the wand at each stop it would be less wear and tear on her body. Even if it took her longer to water that with the watering can it would still be less work.

/ Need Sprayer For Golf Cart #4  
I have a 25 gal sprayer I use with a boom or the wand. When I want to empty the tank I unscrew the end of the wand and a good stream comes out. That should certainly work for watering.
I used to carry the tank in my FEL and the boom would be "U" bolted to the lower 3ph arms, but the last time I set the tank in a small pull cart I have for my lawn tractor and vice gripped the boom to the gate. It worked well.

/ Need Sprayer For Golf Cart #5  
I have a NH sprayer that goes on a platform on the back of a golf cart. I use a separate battery. Depending on how heavy she wants to water, those spray tips will let out a lot. You could plumb her up 2 wands to a "Y".
I bought a 2000 W inverter and hook it to the cart batteries and that has proven very handy. Allowing me to use 110 volt tools any where. bcs