Stihl FS 96 Brushcutter?

/ Stihl FS 96 Brushcutter? #1  

Birdhunter1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I was thumbing through the Trader tonight at dinner and HOLY MOTHER COW...... Stihl FS 96 $100.

Called the guy and he said his wife does the trimming and it was too big for her, she wanted something smaller.....
hasn't run much in the last two years, had a new carb put on two years ago.

My guess puts that at about a $400+ trimmer off the shelf.

Going to look at it tomorrow, anything besides the obvious to look out for?

/ Stihl FS 96 Brushcutter? #2  
Nope, holy cow, can't go too wrong on that.

/ Stihl FS 96 Brushcutter? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Called the guy and he said his wife does the trimming )</font>

Holy cow...see if she has a sister /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Stihl FS 96 Brushcutter? #4  
I have a Stihl FS66 which was the original straight shaft brushcutter, the one that the USFS bought a ton of.

It's at least 20 years old and always starts on the second pull. I had to replace the gas tank about 5 years ago and clean the plug once. I keep the helical gears in the cutter head well greased (monthly) and that's about it.

Excellent trimmer. Will probably be around when I'm in the ground.

/ Stihl FS 96 Brushcutter?
Turns out it was an FS 76.
Closed teh choke, pulled twice it sputtered, turne choke off and first crank it fired right up. I trimmed the guys yard with it, shut it off and asked if he'd take a check?

On the way home I stopped by the Ford dealer (my dad is a salesman, wife and I were buying a new Mazda MPV) and I had three offers on it while at the dealership.

Now I just need to find a saw blade for it and stop by the Stihl dealer in town and see if I can make a copy of his manuals on it.

My Stihl BG 55 leaf blower should be in next week.

Now I just need a polesaw to compliment the line of Stihl equipment I currently have.