You Stihl Gurus know your saws!

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws! #1  

Spiffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
PT2445; several ag machines and classics
Preparing for some upcoming tasks, I was comparing saws at the local Stihl dealer. The salesman said for my tasks [my 20" bar on the old Craftsman seems a bit short so I asked for 24"), the 310 would be a good saw, though thought I'd like the power-weight-vibration characteristics of the 390 better.

That reminded me of a thread here where the general consesus was the 361 was better than the 390. More power even if less displacement; also less weight and vibration.

Soooo.....I called for pricing on those two today [about $120 difference yet] and asked all sorts of questions [their saleslady answered - quite knowlegable too]. I said, I'll have to come in and play with them to decide [they keep a bunch of medium to huge logs behind the store for testing]. She said I definitely should do that, but be prepared to buy the 361; she couldn't remember anyone testing it [against a 390 etc.] that didn't buy it despite the additional price. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So two questions, is the 361 still the bang/buck [please don't tell me the value is at even more initial cost than the 361 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ]?

Should I spend $30 on a new brake housing [melted! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ] plus new bar, & gear [I have one chain sharpened several times, and one on it's first] for the 5 year old [well maintained and used only occasionally, but often hard on those occasions] Craftsman 46cc X 20". Or do I put that toward an 18" bar & chains for the Stihl. I hate the idea of changing bars, but bet that Stihl would really make chips with an 18".

Just for fun, I thought I should have bought a Stihl back when I bought the Craftsman, but the sale price was too tempting. $180 on sale; 5 years; now pretty sure I'll buy a Stihl anyway. Did I waste my money or did it pay for itself?

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws!
Preparing for some upcoming tasks, I was comparing saws at the local Stihl dealer. The salesman said for my tasks [my 20" bar on the old Craftsman seems a bit short so I asked for 24"), the 310 would be a good saw, though thought I'd like the power-weight-vibration characteristics of the 390 better.

That reminded me of a thread here where the general consesus was the 361 was better than the 390. More power even if less displacement; also less weight and vibration.

Soooo.....I called for pricing on those two today [about $120 difference yet] and asked all sorts of questions [their saleslady answered - quite knowlegable too]. I said, I'll have to come in and play with them to decide [they keep a bunch of medium to huge logs behind the store for testing]. She said I definitely should do that, but be prepared to buy the 361; she couldn't remember anyone testing it [against a 390 etc.] that didn't buy it despite the additional price. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So two questions, is the 361 still the bang/buck [please don't tell me the value is at even more initial cost than the 361 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ]?

Should I spend $30 on a new brake housing [melted! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ] plus new bar, & gear [I have one chain sharpened several times, and one on it's first] for the 5 year old [well maintained and used only occasionally, but often hard on those occasions] Craftsman 46cc X 20". Or do I put that toward an 18" bar & chains for the Stihl. I hate the idea of changing bars, but bet that Stihl would really make chips with an 18".

Just for fun, I thought I should have bought a Stihl back when I bought the Craftsman, but the sale price was too tempting. $180 on sale; 5 years; now pretty sure I'll buy a Stihl anyway. Did I waste my money or did it pay for itself?

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws! #3  
I replaced (actually added to the collection) my '75 041, 20" bar with the MS361 with 20" bar and like it equally as well. Each has its stonger points, but use the MS361 most of the time. If I get half the performance out of the MS361 that I did the old 041, I will be happy.
Good luck with your shopping trip. Hope you find one that you like and continue to like after you buy it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
In other Forums, the MS361 holds its own among the best of other brands as well as within the Stihl line-up.
IMO, the 24" bar would leave the MS361 a bit 'bar' heavy. I like the 20" because when the saw is set down on the ground or on the bench, the bar doesn't tip down so the saw rests on the tip. Might with the 24" bar.

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws! #4  
I replaced (actually added to the collection) my '75 041, 20" bar with the MS361 with 20" bar and like it equally as well. Each has its stonger points, but use the MS361 most of the time. If I get half the performance out of the MS361 that I did the old 041, I will be happy.
Good luck with your shopping trip. Hope you find one that you like and continue to like after you buy it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
In other Forums, the MS361 holds its own among the best of other brands as well as within the Stihl line-up.
IMO, the 24" bar would leave the MS361 a bit 'bar' heavy. I like the 20" because when the saw is set down on the ground or on the bench, the bar doesn't tip down so the saw rests on the tip. Might with the 24" bar.

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws! #5  
You will really like the 361. IMO anything a 20" bar on the 361 is ideal. If you want a 24" bar you may want to consider an 044/046 instead.

Keep the Craftsman too and use it for the dirty work, as it is sometimes difficult to keep bar and chain out of the dirt when you have to cut stumps off low, etc.

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws! #6  
You will really like the 361. IMO anything a 20" bar on the 361 is ideal. If you want a 24" bar you may want to consider an 044/046 instead.

Keep the Craftsman too and use it for the dirty work, as it is sometimes difficult to keep bar and chain out of the dirt when you have to cut stumps off low, etc.

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws! #7  
I'm guessing the 361 is the replacement for the 036 'Pro' from a few years ago? If it is, and it's anything like the 036, then it'll be a good one!! If you're cutting hardwoods, the 361 (again, I'm assuming it's similar to the 036) might not be the best choice for a 24" bar. The 046 (or whatever replaced it, if it's been replaced, I need to check on this stuff, and why do they keep changing the numbers, anyway /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) would be better, although not cheap.
Actually, I use a 20" bar on my 046, saving the 24" work for an old (prolly 25 years, anyway) 056, 066 or a Husky 385. Talk about making chips fly!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ You Stihl Gurus know your saws! #8  
I'm guessing the 361 is the replacement for the 036 'Pro' from a few years ago? If it is, and it's anything like the 036, then it'll be a good one!! If you're cutting hardwoods, the 361 (again, I'm assuming it's similar to the 036) might not be the best choice for a 24" bar. The 046 (or whatever replaced it, if it's been replaced, I need to check on this stuff, and why do they keep changing the numbers, anyway /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) would be better, although not cheap.
Actually, I use a 20" bar on my 046, saving the 24" work for an old (prolly 25 years, anyway) 056, 066 or a Husky 385. Talk about making chips fly!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pretty much reinforces everything I thought except it leaves some rethinking or perhaps testing for the 24" bar. I read somewhere that it balances well, but I think they were referring to feel not literally having sit level or whether it was underpowered.

I'm not after 48" stuff, an occasional 30"; and all sorts of smaller sizes. Perhaps my technique is way off, but I've found that the longer bar [the 20" from a 18" and 16"] helps me cut straighter (i.e. I can get much further before the tip disappears, and I don't need to reposition it as much), and somehow convinced myself just a few inches more would be perfect. Also, except for light limbing or the very rare plunge cut, I like to set the logjaws into the wood and make most of my cut in fairly large arcs - perhaps my technique is off there too. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At any rate, [unless it is all my technique], I'm thinking I'll want the 24" at some point [also thinking a half skip chain may make up some power if that is marginal], but perhaps the 20" would be so versatile with this much power that I'd want to get only that right away. On the order of chains, I'm fairly convinced that fast cutting and low vibration [thus low fatique] is actually safer than low kickback, but can't honestly remember the last time I used one.

The Craftsman did serve me well until it took a little fall from the tractor bucket a year or two ago. Took it apart and everything looked and ran all right, but it's had some funny problems [like melting that housing! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif] in the last year. It might be handy to have around yet, but it weighs enough, I can't see putting less than the 20" [maybe an 18"] back on it so somewhat redundant.

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pretty much reinforces everything I thought except it leaves some rethinking or perhaps testing for the 24" bar. I read somewhere that it balances well, but I think they were referring to feel not literally having sit level or whether it was underpowered.

I'm not after 48" stuff, an occasional 30"; and all sorts of smaller sizes. Perhaps my technique is way off, but I've found that the longer bar [the 20" from a 18" and 16"] helps me cut straighter (i.e. I can get much further before the tip disappears, and I don't need to reposition it as much), and somehow convinced myself just a few inches more would be perfect. Also, except for light limbing or the very rare plunge cut, I like to set the logjaws into the wood and make most of my cut in fairly large arcs - perhaps my technique is off there too. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At any rate, [unless it is all my technique], I'm thinking I'll want the 24" at some point [also thinking a half skip chain may make up some power if that is marginal], but perhaps the 20" would be so versatile with this much power that I'd want to get only that right away. On the order of chains, I'm fairly convinced that fast cutting and low vibration [thus low fatique] is actually safer than low kickback, but can't honestly remember the last time I used one.

The Craftsman did serve me well until it took a little fall from the tractor bucket a year or two ago. Took it apart and everything looked and ran all right, but it's had some funny problems [like melting that housing! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif] in the last year. It might be handy to have around yet, but it weighs enough, I can't see putting less than the 20" [maybe an 18"] back on it so somewhat redundant.