Need help finding a good lawn tractor??

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #1  

inneedoftractor

I have a house with about 1 acre of grass but it's very hilly and uneven so right now I am using a push mower but it stinks because of all the hills I have to push up and down, etc. I also have a raised septic in my front yard, so my entire front yard is this really big mound that I have to usually cut going along it so the lawnmower is on a slant the entire time.

Anyhow, I want to get a ride on lawn tractor and was wondering what some of the differences are between like the John Deeres (very expensive), Sears Craftsman (Good value), etc. I also will need to use the tractor in the winter to plow my 100-foot long driveway, I live in northern NJ and we get a lot of snow here in the winter. Currently I am using an ATV with a plow on it for the snow but I will be getting rid of that soon, so I want a tractor that can replace these duties. The other thing I would want the tractor to be able to do is pull around a cart full of dirt, etc. I have a cart right now I hook onto my ATV so when I am moving around dirt, etc. it comes in very handy. I want the tractor to be able to handle this now if it can.

Any recommendations on what would be some good models to consider, and also some comparrisons between what better things you get for paying more money. Because right now comparing the John Deere against the Sears online, I don't see many difference and the Sears is much cheaper.

Thanks everybody!

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor??
I have a house with about 1 acre of grass but it's very hilly and uneven so right now I am using a push mower but it stinks because of all the hills I have to push up and down, etc. I also have a raised septic in my front yard, so my entire front yard is this really big mound that I have to usually cut going along it so the lawnmower is on a slant the entire time.

Anyhow, I want to get a ride on lawn tractor and was wondering what some of the differences are between like the John Deeres (very expensive), Sears Craftsman (Good value), etc. I also will need to use the tractor in the winter to plow my 100-foot long driveway, I live in northern NJ and we get a lot of snow here in the winter. Currently I am using an ATV with a plow on it for the snow but I will be getting rid of that soon, so I want a tractor that can replace these duties. The other thing I would want the tractor to be able to do is pull around a cart full of dirt, etc. I have a cart right now I hook onto my ATV so when I am moving around dirt, etc. it comes in very handy. I want the tractor to be able to handle this now if it can.

Any recommendations on what would be some good models to consider, and also some comparrisons between what better things you get for paying more money. Because right now comparing the John Deere against the Sears online, I don't see many difference and the Sears is much cheaper.

Thanks everybody!

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #3  
I would never recommend a Craftsman tractor/mower to anyone.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #4  
I would never recommend a Craftsman tractor/mower to anyone.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #5  
Since you already have your ATV and cart and plow, for another alternative you could get a pull-behind mower deck (like a Swisher) for the ATV. Starting for far less than the price of any decent lawn tractor you could use your ATV.

They're available in either 44" or 60" width.

Swisher Mower

If you're looking for the Deere units that are distinctly a step up from the Sears level - don't look to the box store "100"
units, go to a Deere dealer. They've just redone the lineup and the names have changed but I believe the current "X300" series are a cross between the old LT and LX units. Good solid units for the price, without necessarily going up to the Caddy levels (and prices) of the X500 and X700 series.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #6  
Since you already have your ATV and cart and plow, for another alternative you could get a pull-behind mower deck (like a Swisher) for the ATV. Starting for far less than the price of any decent lawn tractor you could use your ATV.

They're available in either 44" or 60" width.

Swisher Mower

If you're looking for the Deere units that are distinctly a step up from the Sears level - don't look to the box store "100"
units, go to a Deere dealer. They've just redone the lineup and the names have changed but I believe the current "X300" series are a cross between the old LT and LX units. Good solid units for the price, without necessarily going up to the Caddy levels (and prices) of the X500 and X700 series.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #7  
I have a Simplicity Legacy, Kohler 25, 60" full contact deck, hyro, for several years now, and have been very pleased with it. It is a full sized lawn tractor (they offer 3ph, 4WD, and loader options on the new Legacy model) and should handle your needs. They also offer front scraper blades, and a snow cab for it. Rear chains and weights, and it might be the ticet for you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here a Link to the mfgr. A big issue in your decision is proximity and reputation of dealers. As stated above, I wouldnt go with a Craftsman, or some of the other box store models.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #8  
I have a Simplicity Legacy, Kohler 25, 60" full contact deck, hyro, for several years now, and have been very pleased with it. It is a full sized lawn tractor (they offer 3ph, 4WD, and loader options on the new Legacy model) and should handle your needs. They also offer front scraper blades, and a snow cab for it. Rear chains and weights, and it might be the ticet for you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here a Link to the mfgr. A big issue in your decision is proximity and reputation of dealers. As stated above, I wouldnt go with a Craftsman, or some of the other box store models.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #9  
I am very satisfied with my DLT3000 Craftsman Lawn Tractor with the 20HP Kohler Command V Twin engine. I started out with a house on very rough ground and used it to clear heavy brush for a while. It would cut any thing I could get under the blade. Now after a lot of dirt and dozer work I have about an acre of lawn grass going to two acres. I now have a Jinma Tractor to clear brush with. I have replaced several mower blades, spark plugs, and Oil and Filters. Really cuts well and starts every time. The drive belts may not make it through this season.
Harold

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #10  
I am very satisfied with my DLT3000 Craftsman Lawn Tractor with the 20HP Kohler Command V Twin engine. I started out with a house on very rough ground and used it to clear heavy brush for a while. It would cut any thing I could get under the blade. Now after a lot of dirt and dozer work I have about an acre of lawn grass going to two acres. I now have a Jinma Tractor to clear brush with. I have replaced several mower blades, spark plugs, and Oil and Filters. Really cuts well and starts every time. The drive belts may not make it through this season.
Harold