How fast is your mower?

/ How fast is your mower? #11  
My 48" walk-behind Scag will do about 6 mph. Even with the sulky pulling me (which won't now do 6mph), it's faster than I want to cut.

/ How fast is your mower? #12  
My 48" walk-behind Scag will do about 6 mph. Even with the sulky pulling me (which won't now do 6mph), it's faster than I want to cut.

/ How fast is your mower? #13  
My JD 757 ZTR will mow (nicely) at 10 mph, which is its top speed. The average speed I mow would be about 6-7 mph and that gives me a smooth ride and cut in most cases. We had a brief discussion in an earlier post. The difference between the higher end ZTR type mowers and the economy/non-commercial mowers is not just their speed. They can mow efficiently and more comfortably due to their heavier duty components. I doubt that CC would mow that much faster than a nice lawn tractor with a slightly wider cut. The Toro or equivalent ZTR of a higher end would be more like my JD and would cut two or three mph faster on average. It would also likely turn quicker and last about four times longer. There is a major difference in the cut speed and quality at that speed between the two. In my opinion, if you are looking, save up and look at the special promotions that each company will have. My friend, the dealer, says for some reason lawn and garden sales have been slow this year, where farm sales have been average. This might allow one to get a nice deal on a nicer machine. You would not regret waiting until you can step up a bit on the mower.

John M

/ How fast is your mower? #14  
My JD 757 ZTR will mow (nicely) at 10 mph, which is its top speed. The average speed I mow would be about 6-7 mph and that gives me a smooth ride and cut in most cases. We had a brief discussion in an earlier post. The difference between the higher end ZTR type mowers and the economy/non-commercial mowers is not just their speed. They can mow efficiently and more comfortably due to their heavier duty components. I doubt that CC would mow that much faster than a nice lawn tractor with a slightly wider cut. The Toro or equivalent ZTR of a higher end would be more like my JD and would cut two or three mph faster on average. It would also likely turn quicker and last about four times longer. There is a major difference in the cut speed and quality at that speed between the two. In my opinion, if you are looking, save up and look at the special promotions that each company will have. My friend, the dealer, says for some reason lawn and garden sales have been slow this year, where farm sales have been average. This might allow one to get a nice deal on a nicer machine. You would not regret waiting until you can step up a bit on the mower.

John M

/ How fast is your mower?
Well from all the replies I gather that 5.2 mph is too slow, right? I'm looking at a CC 1055 ($1999 less rebate) I don't want a ZTR, just a riding mower strictly for flat. smooth lawns with few obstructions.

When I use the CUT for bush hogging the pasture I run it at 10 mph or faster, but thats completely different using a real tractor capable of any speed thats suitable/comfortible.

My real concern is that 5.2 mph on the Cub, and thats at full throttle. Trouble is, who makes a reasonably priced riding lawn mower that is faster? Far as I can find looking on line the current crop of all brands <2k all have top speeds ~5-5.5 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ How fast is your mower?
Well from all the replies I gather that 5.2 mph is too slow, right? I'm looking at a CC 1055 ($1999 less rebate) I don't want a ZTR, just a riding mower strictly for flat. smooth lawns with few obstructions.

When I use the CUT for bush hogging the pasture I run it at 10 mph or faster, but thats completely different using a real tractor capable of any speed thats suitable/comfortible.

My real concern is that 5.2 mph on the Cub, and thats at full throttle. Trouble is, who makes a reasonably priced riding lawn mower that is faster? Far as I can find looking on line the current crop of all brands <2k all have top speeds ~5-5.5 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ How fast is your mower? #17  
<font color="blue">( Far as I can find looking on line the current crop of all brands <2k all have top speeds ~5-5.5 mph. ) </font>

From a quality standpoint, any tractor less than $2000 is not going to be very good. Running these tractors any faster will cause more problems quicker.

/ How fast is your mower? #18  
<font color="blue">( Far as I can find looking on line the current crop of all brands <2k all have top speeds ~5-5.5 mph. ) </font>

From a quality standpoint, any tractor less than $2000 is not going to be very good. Running these tractors any faster will cause more problems quicker.

/ How fast is your mower? #19  
I have a Hustler Super Z with 25hp. Kawasaki. They say the top speed is 15mph, I have a handheld gps but haven't tried it. Normaly thats too fast for cutting but I make runs down the highway to cut my other property and cut the sides of the road between propertys. The speed comes in handy. It surprisingly cuts smooth as fast as you want to try and go unless the grass is extremelyhigh but I have so many obstacles to dodge I probably run about half speed. The thing is, I know you said you didn't want a zero turn but a ZT running slow will out cut a lawn tractor at any speed. I practicall gave my Husqvarna away with less than 125 hrs on it. I was constantly bending blades on the husky and replaced both spindles also. I've hit a few nasty things with my hustler and couldn't see any visible damage to blade or alterations in my cut. If you have very much grass and very little time to cut it in I strongly recommend A ZT, and would highly recommend a hustler to anyone. I love it.

/ How fast is your mower? #20  
I have a Hustler Super Z with 25hp. Kawasaki. They say the top speed is 15mph, I have a handheld gps but haven't tried it. Normaly thats too fast for cutting but I make runs down the highway to cut my other property and cut the sides of the road between propertys. The speed comes in handy. It surprisingly cuts smooth as fast as you want to try and go unless the grass is extremelyhigh but I have so many obstacles to dodge I probably run about half speed. The thing is, I know you said you didn't want a zero turn but a ZT running slow will out cut a lawn tractor at any speed. I practicall gave my Husqvarna away with less than 125 hrs on it. I was constantly bending blades on the husky and replaced both spindles also. I've hit a few nasty things with my hustler and couldn't see any visible damage to blade or alterations in my cut. If you have very much grass and very little time to cut it in I strongly recommend A ZT, and would highly recommend a hustler to anyone. I love it.