How fast is your mower?

/ How fast is your mower? #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
Now I ain't gonna drag race a riding mower, but speed is important to me on the flat straight lawn I have. Getting ready to buy a new machine and really like the looks of Cub, but, I see the factory specs only 5.2 mph top speed, regardless of model. That seems slow to me. The high end Toro's run ~7 mph, but they are also priced several thousand more. My current machine is an ageing manual shift with a Brigs twin, it cooks right along pretty good, but I have no idea how fast its really going since I have no way to clock such low speeds. Any suggestione here? Or what about that 5.2 mph, does that seem slow?

I see where HD has Cubs with a $200 rebate, but they won't take em back once they've been fueled and run, so it could be an expensive gamble if I find I need more ground speed.

/ How fast is your mower?
Now I ain't gonna drag race a riding mower, but speed is important to me on the flat straight lawn I have. Getting ready to buy a new machine and really like the looks of Cub, but, I see the factory specs only 5.2 mph top speed, regardless of model. That seems slow to me. The high end Toro's run ~7 mph, but they are also priced several thousand more. My current machine is an ageing manual shift with a Brigs twin, it cooks right along pretty good, but I have no idea how fast its really going since I have no way to clock such low speeds. Any suggestione here? Or what about that 5.2 mph, does that seem slow?

I see where HD has Cubs with a $200 rebate, but they won't take em back once they've been fueled and run, so it could be an expensive gamble if I find I need more ground speed.

/ How fast is your mower? #3  
A few questions for your questions:

Can you test drive either? I'm sure you have some sort of feel as to how fast a mower oughta go, and what is "fast" and what is "slow". And which mower is which.

Can both mow effectively at top speed? When I mow, I like to run flat out for ground speed, anything less is too hard to control with any sort of bumps, esp with a foot control.

If you have a manual now, any hydrostat mower will shave a lot of your mowing time (unless you mow a drag strip...), so you will gain either way.

/ How fast is your mower? #4  
A few questions for your questions:

Can you test drive either? I'm sure you have some sort of feel as to how fast a mower oughta go, and what is "fast" and what is "slow". And which mower is which.

Can both mow effectively at top speed? When I mow, I like to run flat out for ground speed, anything less is too hard to control with any sort of bumps, esp with a foot control.

If you have a manual now, any hydrostat mower will shave a lot of your mowing time (unless you mow a drag strip...), so you will gain either way.

<font color="blue">"Can you test drive either?" </font>

Unfortunately HD won't have any demos until after the rebate ends.

<font color="blue"> "Can both mow effectively at top speed?" </font>

When you say 'both' I assume you mean my old mower vs the new Cub, in which case the old machine cuts just fine in top gear at about 1/2 throttle. As far as the hydro goes, I don't back up a lot and would actually prefer a manual, problem is the better mowers are all hydro. Ihave liked the old mower except that now the venerable Briggs 18 hp horizontal twin is starting to make funny noises when its cold, so before it quits and I get into a really big rush to replace it I thought I'd start looking.

<font color="blue">"Can you test drive either?" </font>

Unfortunately HD won't have any demos until after the rebate ends.

<font color="blue"> "Can both mow effectively at top speed?" </font>

When you say 'both' I assume you mean my old mower vs the new Cub, in which case the old machine cuts just fine in top gear at about 1/2 throttle. As far as the hydro goes, I don't back up a lot and would actually prefer a manual, problem is the better mowers are all hydro. Ihave liked the old mower except that now the venerable Briggs 18 hp horizontal twin is starting to make funny noises when its cold, so before it quits and I get into a really big rush to replace it I thought I'd start looking.

/ How fast is your mower? #7  
A few months ago I bought a handheld GPS unit and I have been carrying it when I mow. I learned that I mow about 7.25 miles each time I mow my yard. My max speed has been 8.2 MPH with the blades disengaged and 7.2 MPH with the blades engaged. But I don't mow at top speed, it is too rough of a ride and the cut quality is not as good. I would guess that I mow somewhere around 4 MPH.

/ How fast is your mower? #8  
A few months ago I bought a handheld GPS unit and I have been carrying it when I mow. I learned that I mow about 7.25 miles each time I mow my yard. My max speed has been 8.2 MPH with the blades disengaged and 7.2 MPH with the blades engaged. But I don't mow at top speed, it is too rough of a ride and the cut quality is not as good. I would guess that I mow somewhere around 4 MPH.

/ How fast is your mower? #9  
Until my 62d deck shows up for my 2520, I'm mowing with a JD x475, 8.5 mph in the smooth parts of the yard. JC

/ How fast is your mower? #10  
Until my 62d deck shows up for my 2520, I'm mowing with a JD x475, 8.5 mph in the smooth parts of the yard. JC