TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs?

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #1  

inneedoftractor

I was comparing a few Sears Craftsman riding mowers and came across a few that are basically identical expect for the engines.

This one here for $1,399
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=07127664000&cat=Lawn+Tractors&subcat=Yard+Tractors+Series&vertical=LAWN&ihtoken=1

This one for $1,499 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid=07127660000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Yard+Tractors+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

This one for $1,599 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid=07127662000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Yard+Tractors+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Now the ONLY difference I see between those tractors is that the brown tractor for $1,499 has the Briggs 22hp Intek TWIN compared to the other one for $100 less that has the Briggs 20hp Intek GOLD SINGLE engine. Then the most expensive one for $1,599 has the 21hp Kohler Pro Courage single cylinder engine.

Now my questions are:

1.) What engine is better, the Briggs TWIN, Briggs SINGLE GOLD or the Kohler Pro Courage single?

2.) I don't know what the GOLD designation has to do with the engine, what is the difference between the Briggs GOLD versus the standard Briggs non-gold?

3.) Is a twin always better than a single, worth the extra $100? I just thought a twin engine would mean more problems, now you have 2 cylinders, 2 spark plugs, 2 carbs, etc... meaning more to break is that right?

4.) Why are the Kohler Pro Courage engines always more expensive than the Briggs? Are they much better engines? I don't see any big differences with them or a reason to spend more money for a Kohler engine, but maybe I am missing something?

Thanks everybody!

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs?
I was comparing a few Sears Craftsman riding mowers and came across a few that are basically identical expect for the engines.

This one here for $1,399
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=07127664000&cat=Lawn+Tractors&subcat=Yard+Tractors+Series&vertical=LAWN&ihtoken=1

This one for $1,499 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid=07127660000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Yard+Tractors+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

This one for $1,599 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid=07127662000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Yard+Tractors+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Now the ONLY difference I see between those tractors is that the brown tractor for $1,499 has the Briggs 22hp Intek TWIN compared to the other one for $100 less that has the Briggs 20hp Intek GOLD SINGLE engine. Then the most expensive one for $1,599 has the 21hp Kohler Pro Courage single cylinder engine.

Now my questions are:

1.) What engine is better, the Briggs TWIN, Briggs SINGLE GOLD or the Kohler Pro Courage single?

2.) I don't know what the GOLD designation has to do with the engine, what is the difference between the Briggs GOLD versus the standard Briggs non-gold?

3.) Is a twin always better than a single, worth the extra $100? I just thought a twin engine would mean more problems, now you have 2 cylinders, 2 spark plugs, 2 carbs, etc... meaning more to break is that right?

4.) Why are the Kohler Pro Courage engines always more expensive than the Briggs? Are they much better engines? I don't see any big differences with them or a reason to spend more money for a Kohler engine, but maybe I am missing something?

Thanks everybody!

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #3  
The Kohler Courage engines are suppost to be 750hr engines. I don't know in the briggs.

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #4  
The Kohler Courage engines are suppost to be 750hr engines. I don't know in the briggs.

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #5  
I have had both Briggs and Kohler twin and single cylinder. For me you can't beat a Kohler single cylinder. Twins seem to be harder on fuel and in my opinion have less power then single. I have had real good luck with all my Kohler motors. The one briggs I had started using oil shortly after the warranty ran out. It did last about a long time but even after a complete overhaul it still used oil.

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #6  
I have had both Briggs and Kohler twin and single cylinder. For me you can't beat a Kohler single cylinder. Twins seem to be harder on fuel and in my opinion have less power then single. I have had real good luck with all my Kohler motors. The one briggs I had started using oil shortly after the warranty ran out. It did last about a long time but even after a complete overhaul it still used oil.

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #7  
Good question- "Why are the Kohler Pro Courage engines always more expensive than the Briggs? Are they much better engines?"

Impossible to answer, as Kohler just started making the Courage line of engines as an economy high HP engine to their Command line. The Courage I have been assured is made in a nearly identical fashion to the cheap Briggs Inteks, but still 750 hours is a very good rated lifespan for an air cooled engine. I suspect a marketing gimmick here- Kohler small engines have always had a great reputation, and that extra $100 could be for the label in the case of Craftsmans on a value comparison. IMHO I'd still go Kohler, just for the reputation. I like twins myself for their smoothness on a LGT, but I don't think I would buy anything with a Briggs Intek.

-Fordlords-

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #8  
Good question- "Why are the Kohler Pro Courage engines always more expensive than the Briggs? Are they much better engines?"

Impossible to answer, as Kohler just started making the Courage line of engines as an economy high HP engine to their Command line. The Courage I have been assured is made in a nearly identical fashion to the cheap Briggs Inteks, but still 750 hours is a very good rated lifespan for an air cooled engine. I suspect a marketing gimmick here- Kohler small engines have always had a great reputation, and that extra $100 could be for the label in the case of Craftsmans on a value comparison. IMHO I'd still go Kohler, just for the reputation. I like twins myself for their smoothness on a LGT, but I don't think I would buy anything with a Briggs Intek.

-Fordlords-

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #9  
The Briggs I/C engines are the best briggs. They have a cast iron sleeve in the cylinder and will last.
Ben

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #10  
The Briggs I/C engines are the best briggs. They have a cast iron sleeve in the cylinder and will last.
Ben