ford 8 hp riding mower

/ ford 8 hp riding mower #1  

fish_wisperer

Banned
Tractor
mahindra 4500 2wd
my mother in law has one of these and it smokes and uses lots of oil, my question is is it worth rebuilding?, can i get parts for the mower and so on. its kinda cool.

/ ford 8 hp riding mower
my mother in law has one of these and it smokes and uses lots of oil, my question is is it worth rebuilding?, can i get parts for the mower and so on. its kinda cool.

/ ford 8 hp riding mower #3  
I don't know about your tractor, but when Ford first came out with their line of mowers I bought one brand new. I liked it because of all the zerks and it looked quality made, problem was the Ford engineers made these things greatly underpowered. They shudda put on less zerks and more hp! Mine was I think 11 hp which was about 1/2 of the hp it needed. After one excruciating season of slow cuting it was gone, no fond memories of that blue dog!

What I'm saying is with 8 hp I kinda doubt you'll be very happy with performance after spending a lot of cash re-building it. Just my thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ ford 8 hp riding mower #4  
I don't know about your tractor, but when Ford first came out with their line of mowers I bought one brand new. I liked it because of all the zerks and it looked quality made, problem was the Ford engineers made these things greatly underpowered. They shudda put on less zerks and more hp! Mine was I think 11 hp which was about 1/2 of the hp it needed. After one excruciating season of slow cuting it was gone, no fond memories of that blue dog!

What I'm saying is with 8 hp I kinda doubt you'll be very happy with performance after spending a lot of cash re-building it. Just my thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ ford 8 hp riding mower #5  
Probably depends on which 8hp engine, and which year or vintage is the riding mower.
My late good friend had Ford lawn tractors, and he went through a lot of engines and engine work. Don't recall which engines.

I've had good fortune with the old 8hp Kohler engines with cast iron blocks. In the process of rebuilding one now that was in my Dad's 1964 Deere 110. It was the same K181S that was in my 1968 Wheel Horse (which is still mowing and blading snow).

Any more details for us? Mower model number, serial number, and year; engine make, model and serial number?

/ ford 8 hp riding mower #6  
Probably depends on which 8hp engine, and which year or vintage is the riding mower.
My late good friend had Ford lawn tractors, and he went through a lot of engines and engine work. Don't recall which engines.

I've had good fortune with the old 8hp Kohler engines with cast iron blocks. In the process of rebuilding one now that was in my Dad's 1964 Deere 110. It was the same K181S that was in my 1968 Wheel Horse (which is still mowing and blading snow).

Any more details for us? Mower model number, serial number, and year; engine make, model and serial number?

/ ford 8 hp riding mower #7  
Many of the older (1960's) Ford LGT's were made by Jacobsen, and had an identical Jacobsen counterpart. If the engine is a Kohler K181 horizontal single, the tractor is one of these models and is definitely worth rebuilding/refurbishing- it's essentially a Jacobsen Chief 800, and they are awesome machines.

-Fordlords-

/ ford 8 hp riding mower #8  
Many of the older (1960's) Ford LGT's were made by Jacobsen, and had an identical Jacobsen counterpart. If the engine is a Kohler K181 horizontal single, the tractor is one of these models and is definitely worth rebuilding/refurbishing- it's essentially a Jacobsen Chief 800, and they are awesome machines.

-Fordlords-

/ ford 8 hp riding mower
next chance i get ill take a picture and post it. i think the engine was brigs and stratton and the mower a 30 inch cut.

/ ford 8 hp riding mower
next chance i get ill take a picture and post it. i think the engine was brigs and stratton and the mower a 30 inch cut.