CC GT1554 stalls when mower is engaged

/ CC GT1554 stalls when mower is engaged #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I do not have a manual for this tractor yet as TSC lost it and the new one hasn't arrived yet. However, it is a GT1554 and when I engage the mower deck at 3/4 throttle it shakes real bad and stalls. I have to have the mower at full throttle and engage the mower and it still shakes real bad and bogs the engine down but it recovers and then I can mow. Any idea why this is happening?

4423585.jpg

/ CC GT1554 stalls when mower is engaged
I do not have a manual for this tractor yet as TSC lost it and the new one hasn't arrived yet. However, it is a GT1554 and when I engage the mower deck at 3/4 throttle it shakes real bad and stalls. I have to have the mower at full throttle and engage the mower and it still shakes real bad and bogs the engine down but it recovers and then I can mow. Any idea why this is happening?

4423585.jpg

/ CC GT1554 stalls when mower is engaged #3  
does it do it only when it's cold (hasn't been run) or every time the PTO is engaged?

My 2042 will stall out if I try to engage the PTO when I'm first mowing. I have to let the mower warm up a minute or 2, then there's no problem.

/ CC GT1554 stalls when mower is engaged #4  
does it do it only when it's cold (hasn't been run) or every time the PTO is engaged?

My 2042 will stall out if I try to engage the PTO when I'm first mowing. I have to let the mower warm up a minute or 2, then there's no problem.

I only recall when I first start up, I will let it warm up longer next time out but it usually gets a short warm up period. I have not paid attention to if it does it after I have been mowing a while.

I only recall when I first start up, I will let it warm up longer next time out but it usually gets a short warm up period. I have not paid attention to if it does it after I have been mowing a while.

Well, I have had a few more hours of use on the GT1554 and I have noticed that it still starts engages hard even after it is warmed up. Sometimes it will stall the machine, other times it just bogs it down real low. Very few times does it just kick in like I think it should.

/ CC GT1554 stalls when mower is engaged #8  
If you have a large mower, with a small motor, it will do that.

Things like build up under the deck, and not so good fuel will make matters worse. Stiff belts/hydro fluid will also make it harder to start the deck. I drive my tractor around for a minute to warm it up before I start mowing. The new EPA emissions standards have put small motors in such a lean condition, that they don't run as well. When I start the motor on my Deere 585, which has FI, it will die down then come back to life. In cold weather, I have to do like the manual say's and start it at 1/2 throttle. The price we pay for having an EPA.

/ CC GT1554 stalls when mower is engaged #9  
Robert_in_NY said:
Well, I have had a few more hours of use on the GT1554 and I have noticed that it still starts engages hard even after it is warmed up. Sometimes it will stall the machine, other times it just bogs it down real low. Very few times does it just kick in like I think it should.

robert have you dropped the deck and verified that everything moves freely? Are you certain that you don't have a fried spindle or bearing? The Cub Cadet forum could probably help more but to me that what your problem sounds like.

I will check things over tomorrow but the thing only has 12 hours on it and I made sure everything was lubed after I bought it. But I will give everything else a once over tomorrow.

I didn't think it would be underpowered as once it gets going she cuts great. The smaller models have almost as big a deck and a lot smaller motors. The only problem is when you engage the deck. I will let you guys know what I learn tomorrow.