John deere x300 or Husquavarna 15 hp?

/ John deere x300 or Husquavarna 15 hp? #1  

rk246

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3830 HST
I need a riding mower for about 1 acre of mowing, some day it will be nice grass, right now there is some heavy mowing to do. I have been looking at the John deere which is x300, Kawasaki engine with 17 hp, or the Husquavarna 15 hp with kawasaki engine, 3200.00 vs 1999.00, both with baggers, I now very little about the Husquavarna, I now the JD has good resale and will probably last a long time. I didn't know how either of these models will bag? Any info will be appreciated.

thanks,

Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ John deere x300 or Husquavarna 15 hp?
I need a riding mower for about 1 acre of mowing, some day it will be nice grass, right now there is some heavy mowing to do. I have been looking at the John deere which is x300, Kawasaki engine with 17 hp, or the Husquavarna 15 hp with kawasaki engine, 3200.00 vs 1999.00, both with baggers, I now very little about the Husquavarna, I now the JD has good resale and will probably last a long time. I didn't know how either of these models will bag? Any info will be appreciated.

thanks,

Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ John deere x300 or Husquavarna 15 hp? #3  
I only have bagging experience from what other people tell me. My uncle has the 42" deck with "straight collection" (meaning not powered or boosted). He says if the grass is real long or wet, it will not bag unless he goes real slow. He usually cuts it, then bags the heavy areas in the afternoon after the grass has dried some.

I personally don't bag with my 48" deck, but prefer to mulch. Mulching requires cutting more often. I often mow 2 times a week, but my land needs the organic matter from the clippings as I have very poor soil.

I have nothing but respect for the 17hp Kawasaki motor. Mine has over 800 hrs on it now with no problems that I have been aware of. I bought it used at 550 hours.

I know nothing of the orange tractor, but I do know the green ones hold their value.

/ John deere x300 or Husquavarna 15 hp? #4  
I only have bagging experience from what other people tell me. My uncle has the 42" deck with "straight collection" (meaning not powered or boosted). He says if the grass is real long or wet, it will not bag unless he goes real slow. He usually cuts it, then bags the heavy areas in the afternoon after the grass has dried some.

I personally don't bag with my 48" deck, but prefer to mulch. Mulching requires cutting more often. I often mow 2 times a week, but my land needs the organic matter from the clippings as I have very poor soil.

I have nothing but respect for the 17hp Kawasaki motor. Mine has over 800 hrs on it now with no problems that I have been aware of. I bought it used at 550 hours.

I know nothing of the orange tractor, but I do know the green ones hold their value.

Thanks for your reply, I don't know anyone with the Husquavarna, I know a lot of people with JD's, I don't know if the JD is 1200.00 better or if green paint is just that much more expensive to put on.

Thanks for your reply, I don't know anyone with the Husquavarna, I know a lot of people with JD's, I don't know if the JD is 1200.00 better or if green paint is just that much more expensive to put on.

/ John deere x300 or Husquavarna 15 hp? #7  
The Deere X300 is a better tractor than the Husqvarna, I don't know if it's $1200 better, but it's better. I'm on other forums besides this one that have a lot of happy Husqvarna owners, and a few disapointed ones. It's also available as a Sears Craftsman as well as a Poulan as all 3 are clones made by AYP, a division of Electrolux. The Deere tractor is new this year and I have no personal experience with them (few do). But I currently own 3 older Deeres and am very happy with parts availability, and Dealer support for what that is worth. As to bagging, my limited experience with bagging was all bad, and I prefer to use a sweeper. Wet grass, tall grass, thick grass all presented problems with the baggers I used. And baggers are expensive and only seem to fit the tractor they come with, whereas my sweeper fits any tractor I own or will own in the future. Just my 2 cents.

/ John deere x300 or Husquavarna 15 hp? #8  
The Deere X300 is a better tractor than the Husqvarna, I don't know if it's $1200 better, but it's better. I'm on other forums besides this one that have a lot of happy Husqvarna owners, and a few disapointed ones. It's also available as a Sears Craftsman as well as a Poulan as all 3 are clones made by AYP, a division of Electrolux. The Deere tractor is new this year and I have no personal experience with them (few do). But I currently own 3 older Deeres and am very happy with parts availability, and Dealer support for what that is worth. As to bagging, my limited experience with bagging was all bad, and I prefer to use a sweeper. Wet grass, tall grass, thick grass all presented problems with the baggers I used. And baggers are expensive and only seem to fit the tractor they come with, whereas my sweeper fits any tractor I own or will own in the future. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your reply, I am still debating, I haven't decided about the bagger yet, the Husqavarna comes with it, the deere it is another 405.00, I have heard more negatives with bagging than positives. How does the sweeper work for tall grass? and wet? Do you drive over it after you mow? Some people have told me that mowing the grass and letting it sit for a day or two and then going back over it to bag would work well? but that seems like a lot of extra effort...

Thanks for your reply, I am still debating, I haven't decided about the bagger yet, the Husqavarna comes with it, the deere it is another 405.00, I have heard more negatives with bagging than positives. How does the sweeper work for tall grass? and wet? Do you drive over it after you mow? Some people have told me that mowing the grass and letting it sit for a day or two and then going back over it to bag would work well? but that seems like a lot of extra effort...