JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over #1  

moeh1

Gold Member
Tractor
B2150DT / Oliver OC-3
I recently started having trouble with my JD316 flipping the v belt over on the drive belt that goes from the engine to the mower deck. Replaced the belt, doesn't seem to be any bind in the deck itself, looking for any ideas/experience. This is the older style 316 (circa 1982?), Kohler motor with the "mule drive" that turns and twists the belt. Thanks in advance for any ideas! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over
I recently started having trouble with my JD316 flipping the v belt over on the drive belt that goes from the engine to the mower deck. Replaced the belt, doesn't seem to be any bind in the deck itself, looking for any ideas/experience. This is the older style 316 (circa 1982?), Kohler motor with the "mule drive" that turns and twists the belt. Thanks in advance for any ideas! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over #3  
Is it the JD replacement belt?
Do you know the part number?

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over #4  
Is it the JD replacement belt?
Do you know the part number?

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over #5  
Be sure to use a John Deere belt, it does make a difference in this application. Also check the belt tension, is it within the correct range? Check the sheaves on the mule drive, do they turn free?
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over #6  
Be sure to use a John Deere belt, it does make a difference in this application. Also check the belt tension, is it within the correct range? Check the sheaves on the mule drive, do they turn free?
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sheaves on the mule drive are free and get a regular greasing. Tension was in the proper initial tension range.
I've been using Gates Green power-rated belts instead for years without issue, now that has suddenly changed. I could go back to a real JD belt if anyone has some actual experience of a difference

Sheaves on the mule drive are free and get a regular greasing. Tension was in the proper initial tension range.
I've been using Gates Green power-rated belts instead for years without issue, now that has suddenly changed. I could go back to a real JD belt if anyone has some actual experience of a difference

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over #9  
Your 316 was built in 1978, the only year for the Kohler powered 316. As to belt problems, I've got well over 2000 hours on mine and have never experienced what you described. I have always used Deere belts, and they generally last around 200 hours of use. I'd be looking at ALL the pulleys for allignment, dings in the rims, wobble from a bad bearing, and also the steel pins that are there to prevent the belt from jumping out may be bent out of place. And are you checking the belt tension indicator with the deck raised to it's highest position as recommended in the manual?

/ JD 316 Mower belt woes, belt flips over #10  
Your 316 was built in 1978, the only year for the Kohler powered 316. As to belt problems, I've got well over 2000 hours on mine and have never experienced what you described. I have always used Deere belts, and they generally last around 200 hours of use. I'd be looking at ALL the pulleys for allignment, dings in the rims, wobble from a bad bearing, and also the steel pins that are there to prevent the belt from jumping out may be bent out of place. And are you checking the belt tension indicator with the deck raised to it's highest position as recommended in the manual?