Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on"

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on" #1  

Piedmont3

Silver Member
Tractor
PT - 425
Lawn vs Driveway \"The War is on\"

I need help.
I have a 350' X 20' -22' driveway of crushed asphault. I can't get my law/yard to grow very well. BUT the weeds and junk grow great in the driveway.
I have tried round-up 18% and 41% and tried several generic versions of the glyphosphate(sp). It works for a day or two, maybe a week or two if it doesn't rain. Then the weeds come back. i have sprayed 3 or 4 gallons of spray 5 times in the last month.
Is there anything I can spray on, pour on, or do to, the driveway short of pouring concrete to get the weeds to stop growing? Maybe a ground/soil killer/sterilizer? Maybe diesel, or gasoline? Maybe windex? I am ready to try almost anything.
All Ideas welcome, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Good experiences preferred /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on"
Lawn vs Driveway \"The War is on\"

I need help.
I have a 350' X 20' -22' driveway of crushed asphault. I can't get my law/yard to grow very well. BUT the weeds and junk grow great in the driveway.
I have tried round-up 18% and 41% and tried several generic versions of the glyphosphate(sp). It works for a day or two, maybe a week or two if it doesn't rain. Then the weeds come back. i have sprayed 3 or 4 gallons of spray 5 times in the last month.
Is there anything I can spray on, pour on, or do to, the driveway short of pouring concrete to get the weeds to stop growing? Maybe a ground/soil killer/sterilizer? Maybe diesel, or gasoline? Maybe windex? I am ready to try almost anything.
All Ideas welcome, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Good experiences preferred /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on" #3  
Re: Lawn vs Driveway \"The War is on\"

First thing is to learn how glysophate works.

It only kills green, growing plants. It does nothing to seeds or dormant plants. You are wasting time and money by pouring it on anything other than a green, actively growing plant.

Rock salt might work for eliminating all future growth, but watch its use at the edges where you want the grass to start.

There are soil sterilizers that will prevent any future growth through germination. Don't know the names offhand, but a web search on soil sterilizer ought to net some results.

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on" #4  

First thing is to learn how glysophate works.

It only kills green, growing plants. It does nothing to seeds or dormant plants. You are wasting time and money by pouring it on anything other than a green, actively growing plant.

Rock salt might work for eliminating all future growth, but watch its use at the edges where you want the grass to start.

There are soil sterilizers that will prevent any future growth through germination. Don't know the names offhand, but a web search on soil sterilizer ought to net some results.

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on" #5  

The best thing that I have found is Pramitol 25E. It will work for a year and you don't need a license. Tractor Supply sells it. Pramitol 25E

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on" #6  

The best thing that I have found is Pramitol 25E. It will work for a year and you don't need a license. Tractor Supply sells it. Pramitol 25E

Jeff,
Thanks, I knew I was only killing the living growing plants. I am just tired of the new sprouts coming back again before the ones I sprayed had completely died.

Jerry,
Thanks I think that is about what I am looking for,
Do I need to worry about it "washing" off of the driveway into the yard?
Will it be diluted enough by the rain(if we ever get anymore rain, we are 4" or 5" below normal for this year. ) to not kill the yard?

Jeff,
Thanks, I knew I was only killing the living growing plants. I am just tired of the new sprouts coming back again before the ones I sprayed had completely died.

Jerry,
Thanks I think that is about what I am looking for,
Do I need to worry about it "washing" off of the driveway into the yard?
Will it be diluted enough by the rain(if we ever get anymore rain, we are 4" or 5" below normal for this year. ) to not kill the yard?

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on" #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The best thing that I have found is Pramitol 25E. It will work for a year and you don't need a license. Tractor Supply sells it. Pramitol 25E
)</font>

Ditto on the thanks Jerry.

I am going to have to try that stuff. I had resigned myself to having to spray weeds every two weeks.

/ Lawn vs Driveway "The War is on" #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The best thing that I have found is Pramitol 25E. It will work for a year and you don't need a license. Tractor Supply sells it. Pramitol 25E
)</font>

Ditto on the thanks Jerry.

I am going to have to try that stuff. I had resigned myself to having to spray weeds every two weeks.