Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #141  
I've been shopping around for a lawn tractor for about a year now and have driven a bunch and have done a lot of research. I'm not an expert but I have formed some opinions. The L series JDs are a small notch better than the Craftsmans and I don't consider them "real JDs" (just my opinion). You need to get at least an X series to get a real JD. The quality difference is very evident and the fact that a you get real engine (Kawasaki vs B&S or Kohler Courage). The engine in the tractor tells you a lot about how well it's built. It's a quick litmus test for quality (not perfect...but pretty good). I always though I would spend $1500 on a lawn tractor but now it looks like I'll spend twice that to get one that would last.

Common marketing gimmick...put a popular engine on a bunch of crap parts, and everyone thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ain't nothing wrong with a B&S engine, most people won't know the difference in the end anyways. Proper maintenance is the key to longevity, not a gimmicky engine.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #142  
Deere entry level machines are just that. They have the name but built no better than the craftsman / murray.

To get a good machine in JD colors the deck alone will be 2k. The rest of the unit although expensive at purchase will last a lifetime. Spend the money and be happy or scrimp on a cheapee and spend your time fixing. I have a 4110 JD and it works great.

Let me get this right...I need a 2k deck+machine to mow 3/4 acre,once a week:eek:, as opposed to buying a LA series for 2k(deck and machine) ?.

I don't need to plow the back 40....just mow some grass.:rolleyes:

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #143  
I think you have the right idea, from a practical standpoint, it would be hard for me to justify all that add'l expense for 3/4 acres. Despite some of the comments, the big box Deeres and Husquarna's are a big step up from a Craftsman, but I do agree that they are a step down from the top-of-the line.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #144  
I think you have the right idea, from a practical standpoint, it would be hard for me to justify all that add'l expense for 3/4 acres. Despite some of the comments, the big box Deeres and Husquarna's are a big step up from a Craftsman, but I do agree that they are a step down from the top-of-the line.

I'd be interested to hear just what improvements the JD's have over the Sears. Better deck? Stronger motor? Exactly what are those "big steps" up from a Craftsman? I think you have to really look at a L-series JD, it ain't much more than a price machine. Not that that is a bad thing.