Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    mf 1428v & 1464 fel

Default Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman

I have 8 acres and a MF 1428 and I was going to buy a RFM for it but when I saw the prices I decided to buy a lawn tractor instead.

I surprised at the complexity -- Gear, CVT, Hydro just to start. I'll be using the tractor on 2 acres of hilly land.

I don't want anything fancy - I simply want to mulch cut the grass. So far, I've looked at the JD 100 series and Craftsman but I'm lost in all the variations.

What's going to be the best lawn tractor for hills? What are the pros/cons of CVT vs. Hydro? With the hills, would I be better off with a gear tractor?

Tractor
    Deere 316 (Kohler) Deere 316 (Onan) Deere 210

Default Re: Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman

Is your hilly 2 acres wide open land or lots of trees and landscaping? Are the hills few and big or many and small and how steep? are we talking Nebraska hills or Pocono hills? With this info we can suggest what width deck to use to avoid scalping, and what drive train might be best to use.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

CVT is just another name for a hydrostatic.

Tractor
    Kubota T1570

Don't think so.
    CVT- continuously variable transmission ie belt drive
    Hydro- uses pressurized hydraulic oil

I don't recommend CVT

Dean

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

If someone is making a belt drive CVT, not a hydrostatic (which is also really a different type of CVT) tractor/lawn mower, I would give it a wide berth as well.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810HST

See this thread regarding the Sears hydro.

In my situation I'm satisfied and bear no grudges, you may consider the info informative and think differently.

Tractor
    mf 1428v & 1464 fel

Most of what I'd cut with the tractor will be open. I'll use the push mower to get in and around stuff. I live in Western PA so the hills are more like Pocono hills!

It sounds like I want to avoid CVT. My Massey is a Hydro - I wasn't sure if this was the same system. It is the same hydro as on the bigger tractors, right? So, now I have to decide between gear and hydro.

What is the main differences between the deere 100 series and the x series? The cheapest x series is like $2700 and I see decent 100 series for $1700.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

You will get what you pay for. No two ways about it, in my opinion. Buy cheap, get cheap.

Extra care and attention to keeping things fixed, and avoiding bumps and bruises will go a long way to keep the cheap ones running. Keep an eye open for down the road if you want to have some trade-in value, and parts available. All can be important to the owner of a machine.

Good luck. Sounds like this is your first-time buying yard tractors.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

It's tough to find a really good LGT with gear drive anymore- I think Toro still has one GT with a gear drive. It is a get what you pay for game, and as long as you buy enough tractor for your work you'll be OK. Hilly land can be taxing on the inexpensive belt driven sealed (non serviceable) type of hydrostatic transaxles found on the JD 100's and Craftsmans and many others. I tell everyone this humble opinion of mine a lot-- the transmission truly makes the tractor what it is or can be. To get a good LGT with a cast iron, serviceable transaxle with external filter that might last 20 years or so look to spend at least $3000. Or, you go the inexpensive route and buy a new little LT at $1500-1800 every 8-10 years.

-Fordlords-

Tractor
    Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331

Isn't comparing a JD to a Craftsman like comparing a BMW to a Kia?

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast