Looked at a JD318 today

/ Looked at a JD318 today #1  

Barton

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC2310
Based upon the serial number it was built in early 1986. The motor was replaced with another Onan about 5 yrs. ago and the mower deck was replaced with a new 48" deck a couple of yrs. ago. 1820 on the meter.

The deck was still shiny. No cracks in the hood, nor dents in the rest of it, even the grill was straight. There was surface rust on fenders and some deep pitting where the right foot rests. It started fine and ran strong, no smoke. Boy, it's a beast! A couple of knobs are missing and the seat is totally shot. The rear tread was OK, but the front tread was poor but useable.

It has the 3 point hitch.

Asking price is 1500. but the owner came down to 1300. while I was taking to him.

I believe it would make a great restoration project but not for a first timer like me since I have never restored any thing like that - just furniture. I sure am tempted to buy it but I guess I'll have to pass on it.

Oh well, I just wanted to share what I saw today.

/ Looked at a JD318 today #2  
The JD 318 is considered among many to be one of the finest garden tractors ever made. $1300 is a good price for it, they often sell for $2500 or more on E-Bay. You might want to try that restoration after all /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Fordlords-

/ Looked at a JD318 today #3  
Just my opinion but if that replacement Onan really does have just 5 years on it and you have any sense that the current owner performed reasonable normal maintenance on it since then - run, do not walk back and grab that 318 for $1300.

The 318 is built more like the current bigger X700 machines than more typical garden tractors - but in the smaller size. Just about EVERYthing can be kept running, and it is likely to run for a long time yet. The biggest problem with old 318's these days is that replacement Onan's are no longer available - and serious repair of an old one can get expensive. Replacement re-motor kits (various firms offer Honda, Kohler, and B&S choices) all run more than $1300 just for the motor - and then you're not original.

Other than a new motor, you can find just about anything you'd need on eBay, and usually not too expensive.

You can get a seat re-cover kit (new pad, new seat surface, and trim) that uses your old metal base for $60 or so. Deere still supports the 318 with most maintenance and small repair items available through your dealer.

/ Looked at a JD318 today #4  
I'm with Tim on this. Do not stop, do not pass "Go" -- go directly back and get that tractor. Between this forum and Weekend Freedom Machines you'll get all the help you need to do your restoration. Knobs, tires, and seat are all bolt on fixes. If the engine is as you describe it and the foot pans aren't completely rusted out, that tractor is worth at least $2,000. If you give up on restoring it, you could at least turn a profit on it by listing on eBay.

/ Looked at a JD318 today #5  
I also say you should reconsider this. The tractor does not sound like it needs more than new paint to be in top shape. The 3 point hitch often sells for over $400 on Ebay, the mower deck shell (no bearings or shafts) sells new from Deere for around $700, so if it all is running with no serious problems, it's easily worth more than the $1300. And if you have experience with refinishing furniture, you can repaint this tractor. I own (2) Deere 316s and these old beauties are awesome machines. Deere still supports them with parts, and with a reasonably fresh Onan in it, you should have MANY years out of this tractor.

/ Looked at a JD318 today
Thankyou all for taking time to respond to my post and for the info about the 318. I was able to get into this forum between down times last week and read the reponses. So, Thursday morning I called the owner and offered 1200 and he agreed. My wife and I picked it up Friday morning and now I have another project to do. When I start the restoration I'll post pictures. Thankyou again.

/ Looked at a JD318 today #7  
You made a great decision. That tractor will last for years. And you got a steal of a deal on it! Congrats!

/ Looked at a JD318 today
Thanks, mwood. Now all I have to do is find the the time for this project.

/ Looked at a JD318 today #9  
Tractor restorations make great wintertime projects. There is little time in the summer, but between December and March I put a little space heater in my garage and spent about 100 hours on the weekends totally restoring my Cub Cadet 682. With mine, the mower deck alone took just as much time to get into shape as the tractor itself did. It was very similar to furniture refurbishing- lots of stripping and repainting. I had all the large sheet metal parts professionally base/clear painted at a body shop, and have to say that really made a huge impact- everyone asks how I got the paint so shiney! The 318 is well worth taking your time and doing a good job on. Then once you get done, you'll find it's a joy to use with the power steering and its super-solid feel.

Deere really had to make an impact with the 318 to clear up the negative image they got when the 317's bombed with tons of blown Kohler KT17 engines. In fact, the problems with the KT17 are exactly why the 318's have the Onan engine in them. The 318 turned out to be the benchmark for what all of JD's high end GT's would be based on thereafter, and it is esentially a downsized improvement on the model 400 predecessor from the mid 70's. You'll be hard pressed to find any garden tractor new or old that can out perform the JD 318. Even if you put as much money into it as you spent for it, it will still be a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Deere-318-...3QQihZ018QQcategoryZ50374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-Fordlords-

/ Looked at a JD318 today #10  
Very true. The 318 is regarded by many to have been years ahead of its time. I really think that even if you compare it to a new model from Deere, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better about the new ones. Sure, now they have 4 wheel steer now on some, but I doubt they are as rugged as the 318.

Have fun! Restoring them can be a great project and the finished tractor is so much fun to use!