AIR IN FUEL JD 455

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Can anyone give me specific instructions on bleeding air from fuel lines on a JD 455 lawn tractor. I have tried everything I know and it runs OK for awhile and then starts acting up again.

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #2  
since it runs good for a while, I suspect you are getting the air out when you bleed it. I would go further back toward the fuel source and check for plugged filters, fuel lines, or possibly crud in the tank at the outlet. Worst case, I suppose it could be in the pump or injectors. I couldn't help with that.

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #3  
How do you know it's air in the lines? I don't know the procedure that the 455 recommends for air bleeding. I have worked on other diesels though, and they generally bleed the air out themselves after cranking and running a bit. I have put clear fuel line on the low pressure side and or return side to confirm air bubbles. I have found this to be helpful to confirm and locate air leaks. The low pressure side should be clear/ no bubbles to the injector pump. If it has bubbles, start working back towards the tank to see where the air is entering.

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #4  
As I recall, on the 455, it had the auto-bleed system. No priming needed, should you run it dry.

not sure though.

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #5  
In bleeding air out of lines with a diesel, it will generally run like junk for a few minutes until the air is gone, then be fine. With what you are describing dirtworksequip, it sounds like a fuel filter is plugged or other problem rather than air in the lines.

-Fordlords-

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455
It runs fine for awhile, then starts acting up.Like it is not getting enough fuel. I just changed the fuel filter. I tried blowing air with a compressor thru the fuel lines back to the fuel tank. One I can get air thru back to fuel tank and the other I can not. You can't see where the lines attach to the tank. I was going to take them off at the tank and try to see if they wher clear. Just not sure what to check?????????????? Thanks to every one who answered.

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #7  
I think you found your problem with the supply or return line to the
tank. Even a 5 y old tractor can get a buildup of black sludge in the
bottom of the fuel tank. This is from water and/or the bacteria that
breeds in diesel. I found this in 5 y old 955s. BTW my 955s are
very easy to bleed, w/ a lever on the side of the fuel pump for
just such a purpose.

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455
Old thread but, I thought I would write what the solution was. I removed the seat and fenders so I could get to the fuel tank. I removed the in tank fuel pump to check to see if it had a screened pickup tube that may have gotten plugged up with crud or slim. Once I had the pump out of the tank I turned on the key and it was not running. So, I put seperate power to the pump and it ran fine. Pump was okay,but not getting power. Hmmmmmmmm, where do I go now? Checked all the fuses and they were all okay. When I plugged the fuel back in for the fuel pump the pump ran now. I found that by holding the fuse with my fingers tightly in the fuse holder the pump ran fine and so did the engine. Took a cable tie and wrapped it around the fuse and holder to hold the fuse better in the fuse holder. The engine has been running great ever since. My diagnosis of air in the fuel lines was incorrect as it was actually an electrical problem.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #9  
Old thread but, I thought I would write what the solution was. I removed the seat and fenders so I could get to the fuel tank. I removed the in tank fuel pump to check to see if it had a screened pickup tube that may have gotten plugged up with crud or slim. Once I had the pump out of the tank I turned on the key and it was not running. So, I put seperate power to the pump and it ran fine. Pump was okay,but not getting power. Hmmmmmmmm, where do I go now? Checked all the fuses and they were all okay. When I plugged the fuel back in for the fuel pump the pump ran now. I found that by holding the fuse with my fingers tightly in the fuse holder the pump ran fine and so did the engine. Took a cable tie and wrapped it around the fuse and holder to hold the fuse better in the fuse holder. The engine has been running great ever since. My diagnosis of air in the fuel lines was incorrect as it was actually an electrical problem.

Sincerely, Dirt
Thank for posting the final solution.
So many threads are started but you never here about a conclision and we're left hainging.

/ AIR IN FUEL JD 455 #10  
Dogged, just plain onery, with that problem til ya killed it... :D

Thanks for the post, dirt. Good to hear the end of your detective work!

AKfish

Oh, and thanks for the idea on the backhoe bucket. The piece of flat-stock with a hole thru it for a clevis is a much better solution than a hook.