Lawn Mower won't stay running

/ Lawn Mower won't stay running #1  

Birdman

Silver Member
I have a Craftsman 6.25 HP rear bagging pushmower, Tecumseh engine, bought it new in 1999 or 2000, have not used it for the last 2 or 3 years, gas tank was full and Stabil was added when I stopped using it. Three weeks ago I decided to start using it again. About a dozen pushes on the fuel bulb, pulled the cord and it fired right up, ran for about 2 seconds and then died, another half dozen pushes on the fuel bulb, pulled the cord again and it started and remained running until I ran it out of gas. Filled it back up and finished mowing. Changed the oil the next day. The following week I used it again, with no problems. This week I used it for about 2 hours and was waiting for sunset to go mow around some bee hives. When I tried to use it this time it would start and run for about 8 to 10 seconds and then die. As long as I push the fuel bulb a few times it will start right up and then just dies.
I have removed the fuel tank, it seems fine. Took the bowl off the carb and the float seems to be fine also. Took the air filter off and blew air through the fuel line, seems fine, was going to spray the carb with gumout but my can was empty. Will pick up a new can tomorrow.
I need suggestions on what to check next. Thanks

/ Lawn Mower won't stay running #3  
I have one of them also. I have had your problem also...many times. The fuel jet is getting clogged with whatever.
If you pull off the air filter there is a red plastic line that I will blow air into to blow out the clog but there is a catch to this you can blow your primer bulb apart ( I did this ).
There is another method I would do (prefered) Pull the air filter and get it started then put my hand over the intake of the carb to use the vaccuum of the engine to pull whatever crud stuck in the jet out.

Ron, it has a plastic fuel tank.

/ Lawn Mower won't stay running
Thanks.
It is a plastic tank as Wushaw noted. My son just bought some of the Seafoam the other day so I will put some of that in tomorrow and also try the cleaning suggestions.

/ Lawn Mower won't stay running #5  
Hold on, on the Seafoam. Take the nut off the carburetor bowl. Look to see if there are tiny holes in the bolt. Clean them out with a piece of tag wire, bread bag wire or torch tip cleaners. Let us know what you find. If that doesn't help or if you don't have that type of carburetor, post the MN of the engine or the 917. craftsman number.

/ Lawn Mower won't stay running
I just got it running, used canned air to gently blow through the little red tube. Of course Mr. Murphy showed up to help and on the first pull after putting the filter back on.... the pull cord broke. Fixed that and tried again and it fired up and remained running. Hopefully whatever clogged it up will be dissolved and not cause any more problems. Thanks to all.