Small Briggs Engine help...

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #1  

rback33

Veteran Member
I have a 23HP (I think) on my Garden Tractor... I have drained the tank, checked the fuel filter and changed the air filter. What is does is basically surges when it runs... it did this last summer and I eventually got it to basically quit, but never felt that it ran at Full RPM like it should. I know next to nothing about small engines and hope to have a buddy of mine over to work on it this afternoon. When it is doing what it does there is a little arm near the carburetor that slides back and forth in time with the surging..I found this last summer when i was working on it... I tried carb cleaner last summer and that did not seem to help. Any suggestions are appreciated.

ps.. I can mow with it the way it, but I can tell I am not getting full blade speed and it's not cutting as well as it should and bogs down much easier as well.

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #2  
sounds like the governor needs adjusting,or a new spring. There are several books on smallengine repair that would probably help you. I remember seeing one at Home Depot that had a lot of pics diagrams. There is definatly a trick to getting rid of the surge. Its a combo of carb adjusts and govenor.Also vacuum leaks can cause problems.

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #3  
I have a 23HP (I think) on my Garden Tractor... What is does is basically surges when it runs...

I also have a 23hp on my garden tractor. Mine also had a surge issue. Spraying carburetor cleaner in the throat of the carburetor fixed the issue temporarily at best. I started adding a small amount of STP fuel injector & carburetor treatment in with the gas. The surging issue has stopped ever since. I believe it was a gum build-up issue in the carb....

Don

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #4  
The only times I can remember having that problem was with much smaller Briggs engines and, as the fireman said, it was the spring on the governor.

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #5  
Sounds to me like yo uare running lean.

Id pull the carb and clean the main jet out.

Before you do that, rev it way up to full throttle, then slam the choke shut. Do this 10 times and see if it gets any better.

I had a 21 (I THINK) hp intek briggs that did this, as well as dozens of smaller briggs, always was the main jet, or the pilot jet.

/ Small Briggs Engine help...
I've been thinking it was a fuel/carb problem..m I'll try some of this when I get home... have some carb/injector cleaner in the back seat of my ca r that I leave in town... I will grab it before I run home... thanks for the help... I'll try and update on Wednesday....

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #7  
I have just encountered the same problem with my father's craftsman 15.5 hp lawn tractor. After mowing some long grass, the engine is cycling. I checked the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug. The plug indicates a little lean but not bad. There is an arm that comes out of the base of the (engine,tranny) which is moving and throttling the butterfly valve at the exit of the carborator. Seems to be something that has somthing to do with load sencing to adjust for a heavy load on the little engine??? Looking for a schematic for the tractor to see what this does. Seems like you are having a similar problem. Did any of the other solutions help your issue?? just curiouse.

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #8  
parttimer, That is the govenor. it can be very touchy to adjust. First eliminate all fuel, carb,and air flow issues. If problems not cured you might need to adjust the gov. Sometimes its as easy as replacing the spring other times it an hour or more of adjust a little,test adjust,test,......... Its very aggrivating especialy when its 110 degrees out.

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #9  
Thanks, My dad and I were thinking this was the origin of the problem. Next time I'm over there I will take a better look under the mower and see what is there. My mother cleaned up and threw away the owners manual for the new mower and kept the 20 year old one. LOL.

/ Small Briggs Engine help... #10  
My 1992 MTD w/ 16HP B&S does the surging thing every year or so. It has always been a simple fix of turning the carb mixture screw in a bit then back out. I agree with a lean condition, thus the gov trying to compensate. Also agree probably dirt in carb but tweeking the screw seems to dislodge it. 10 sec fix for me.
Cheers!