Antique Lawn Tractors.

/ Antique Lawn Tractors. #1  

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
Like most things in good condition the older in age more it seems to be worth.

Has anybody notice asking also sell prices on antique lawn and garden tractors lately...yikes.

Example...Wheel Horse mid 50's to late 60's on ebay $200.oo for poor condition or no motor,to completey restore asking $1.400.oo or even more.

Could this restoring of antique lawn and garden tractors be strong sign of what maybe coming?

/ Antique Lawn Tractors. #2  
It's been happening for quite a while. There are collectors groups for Gravelys, Bolens, Deere, David Bradley, and others for years. Over a year ago I saw a museum quality restored Deere model 110 from the first 1000 made in 1963 sell for around $5000 (it truly was much better than new!). And the rare attachments are also going up in value as well. Let's face it, the average guy can't afford an antique or classic car project, and most folks don't have the garage space for an antique farm tractor to restore even though they are still affordable, so this is an affordable hobby that fits in with the suburban lifestyle and still satisfies the inner "motor head" that resides within.

/ Antique Lawn Tractors. #3  
Restoring or refurbishing an older tractor is a great option instead of new for those who enjoy spinning wrenches, and there are a ton of resources for this on the internet. Rather than buy a new garden tractor, I fefurbished my old Cub 682 this past winter, and not only was it a fun project, it yielded one heck of a nice machine ready for another 25 years of work and play. Parts and engine retrofits, etc are available for just about all of the big name GT's of the past, especially JD and Cub. There are even a lot of sites for small tractor restoration, with people ranging from liberals like me who like to modify things to make them better, or the purists who restore things exactly right down to the last bolt.

When I read a lot of the posts here on TBN about some of the new equipment and the problems with it, I often ask myself, "didn't they have that problem solved 25 years ago?"
-Fordlords-

/ Antique Lawn Tractors. #4  
The quality is missing in many of the big box tractors being offered today. All Manufacturers are guilty of "selling out" their name for low end market share.

You can find a nice Cub, or JD 1xx or 2xx tractor, refurblish it, and have the same amount in it as a medium priced Sears tractor. The biggest differences are the designs (rugged vs ??) and "residual values". While the Sear tractor will depreciate almost in half in a few years, the older tractor will keep it's value.

Plus you look pretty cool driving that old beast around the neighborhood.