garden tractor advice needed

/ garden tractor advice needed #1  

vamil93

I have read this forum and find the information to be very valuable. I am looking to buy a new garden tractor and have narrowed my choices. I would like to get opinions on these models. Hoping to avoid any brand bashing.
1. John Deere x500. I got a quote from dealer today for 6500 delivered. This is with 48" blade and various other minor accessories.

2. Cub Cadet 3000 series. No quotes yet, MSRP is 4700 and 5700 respectively (without deck). I think that I should be able to get a 3200 with 50" deck for less than 6000.

3. Simplicity Prestige. Local dealer has sale on 23hp, 54" for 5395 before tax, etc.

I like all three machines. I believe the Cub and Simplicity offer the most value, but the Deere is a good looking machine. Thanks in advance for any help.

/ garden tractor advice needed #2  
All 3 are great machines, it just depends on what top features are most important to you. With the JD X500 you get the 4 wheel steer advantage, definitely nice if you have to mow around tight spaces. With the Cub 3000 you get the shaft drive to both deck and tranny, heavy frame and heavy iron transaxle advantage for a tractor that you want to be around for a long time. With Simplicty you get quick hitch mower removal and traction control to make the machine easier to use and maintain.

-Fordlords-

/ garden tractor advice needed #3  
Some things I would look at while making this decision, is which dealer has the best service dept? Best inventory of parts? Best reputation for running his business? AND which tractor has the best control layout for you, best leg room (and belly room if needed), easiest to attach and remove attachments, easiest to get on and off of, best seat for back support, will your spouse be able to use it? is the snow blower gonna be too heavy to lift if you need it?

/ garden tractor advice needed #4  
I'm really like my Deere's, but.....IMO, the 500 series is sad. Minimum 6 grand for a carburated motor, manual steering, foot controlled deck, that is belt driven, is sad. The 700 series is the old 400 and 500 series combined, and the 500 series fills the void between them and the 300 series. They (the new 500 series) basically offers the features of the 300 series, with the size of the old 400/500 series. IMO, I would look at the 320, 324 and 340. Compare them to the 500. See if you gain enough to justify the extra $1000-1500. If you have a large garden to till, and/or a large driveway/parking area to clear, you might need to move up to the 700 series if you are buying as a long term purchase. I'm not, in any way, trying to tell you what to do, but just giving my opinon, and something to think about too. I have a 2005 X585 and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. But I also work it too. I have an almost 2 acre garden to till, a large parking area with driveway's to sheds and the road to clear snow off of. I mow almost 3 acres with it, and I move my trailers around the yard with it. Good luck.

/ garden tractor advice needed #5  
I would agree. You might be able to find some of last year's X500's or X400's which might not cost that much more than the new 500 you are looking at. To me, the X500 from last year are the best garden tractors out there. There are other nice brands and I am not minimizing any brands, but I have yet to use or see one that is the equal across the board of the X's. Now the 500's from this year.......another story....nice machines but not notably better than the competition and they are costly for what one gets. To me they are not at the level of the older 300 series machines, but are close.

John M

/ garden tractor advice needed #6  
I looked at the 500 series Deere's when I was shopping,and like was said above...I couldn't justify the price for what I was getting. Then I stopped by the Kubota dealer to see what they had(they were across the street from the Deere dealer I was at that day),and they had what was in close comparison to an X495 for way less than the new X700's. It's a 3-cylinder liquid cooled diesel,hydrostatic trans,hydraulic deck lift,shaft drive deck,shaft drive hydrostat,and has an available CAT 0 hitch and rear PTO for tilling, bladework, etc. This was all for waaaay less than the $10K that the Deeer dealers wanted for a diesel powered X700's. I paid $7150 for my little Kubota, and it's been a gem of a machine. There's only a couple of things I'd change if I could-there's no differential lock,and the headlights are very poor for light output. But for what I paid to get what I did-I'm still smiling when I'm cutting grass.
JL

/ garden tractor advice needed #7  
I would also look at a late model X series John Deere. I bought a X475 this last winter with 80 hours and 54" deck and paid $5900 for it. I paid another $1K for quick hitch, blade, weights and chains. I love it! I have noticed that those X400 and 500 series used inventories are up at some large dealers. There are some great deals on Ebay from JD dealers on low hour X Series tractors.

/ garden tractor advice needed #8  
You might also want to look at the Toro Classic 300 Serices or the 400 and 500 series.

/ garden tractor advice needed #10  
LBrown59 said:
How about an 8 year old JD GX345 for 3900
PS just got back from taking a look at this tractor.
Looks like new and has been very well taken care of.
Everything works and the tractor needs nothing .
Liked the tractor - but not sure about the $3900 price.
Any suggestions on what might be a reasonable amount to offer the fellow for it?
He is selling it because he just recently purchased a new Kubota B 7510 He's only put 17 hours on the 7510.
I made sure I gave him TBNs web address so he can join in here with us.