Need feedback from Kubota GR series users

/ Need feedback from Kubota GR series users #1  

locknut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota
First poster.Looking for comments from GR series owners as to the grade climbing abilities of these tractors.Kinda disappointed as the GR2000 won't climb as far as the old Simplicity Landlord up the notorious "front hill".The front wheels seem to do most,or all of the pulling and eventually spin-out,while the rear wheels just sit there and do nothing.The steepest grade it will pull is 22°.Same in reverse,but no wheel-spinning.I guess the Hydro just gives up.

Having said this,I'm not totally unhappy with this rig.When on the downhill run,it literally nails itself to the turf with filled AG tires.The Hydro won't hold it back,but if I feather the brake judiciously I can creep safely down the slope,which is a measured 30°.A white knuckles affair,to say the least.

I've included a link that shows this nasty hill and some pics of the old Landlord.The hill,or bank I should say,is over a 20ft run in the center and is 115ft from one side to the other.Takes 38 downhill passes to cut it,but it's easier to mow it with this tractor than using a weedeater and have my feet fly out from under me at least twice each time I do it.

http://community-2.webtv.net/GregBarker/OneGoodTractor/

/ Need feedback from Kubota GR series users
Maybe I should have posted this in the Kubota owner/op section.

At any rate,I dropped the tractor off at the local dealer today and they couldn't believe the old Landlord was a better hill climber.After close inspection they determined the Glidesteer cables were mis-adjusted to the point that they were unlocking the clutches on both rear wheels.No wonder it wouldn't climb!

Won't have a chance to check it out till next Wed when I mow again.

Learned a couple more things about this tractor.When going straight,both real wheels pull like a posi-trac differential.And,the braking system applies force to the driveline,not just the rear wheels,hence 4-wheel braking which I observed first-hand going down steep grades.

I may give this tractor a two thumbs-up yet!

locknut

/ Need feedback from Kubota GR series users #3  
locknut said:
Maybe I should have posted this in the Kubota owner/op section.

At any rate,I dropped the tractor off at the local dealer today and they couldn't believe the old Landlord was a better hill climber.After close inspection they determined the Glidesteer cables were mis-adjusted to the point that they were unlocking the clutches on both rear wheels.No wonder it wouldn't climb!

Won't have a chance to check it out till next Wed when I mow again.

Learned a couple more things about this tractor.When going straight,both real wheels pull like a posi-trac differential.And,the braking system applies force to the driveline,not just the rear wheels,hence 4-wheel braking which I observed first-hand going down steep grades.

I may give this tractor a two thumbs-up yet!

locknut
I have looked at your pictures and would say my property is very similar in gradiants to your's. My gr2100 does it easy,including pulling a 8x5 trailer behind it .When i took delivery of my gr , I blocked it up off the ground completely and ran it forwards and backwards to check out everything , it was fine and as you have allready pointed out , when in the straight ahead position (+ or- 15 deg)you have a fully locked rear diff , i have never seen wheel slippage ever.

/ Need feedback from Kubota GR series users #4  
I don't have a GR2100, but it's on my list of possibles.

For anyhone who has one, how long have you had it, and have you had any problems, breakdowns, etc, other than normal maintenance?

Would probably get more feedback if I would've posted this in the Kubota owners/operating forum.Maybe the Mods could move it?

/ Need feedback from Kubota GR series users #6  
mcherry said:
I don't have a GR2100, but it's on my list of possibles.

For anyhone who has one, how long have you had it, and have you had any problems, breakdowns, etc, other than normal maintenance?
I have only had mine about 6 months , no problems at all.

/ Need feedback from Kubota GR series users #7  
The only thing to watch with the GR's to to make sure your hydraulic fluid levels are full, or even a touch above full. There are exposed transmission components right below the low mark on the dipstick, there is little margin for error. Other than that its a great tractor!

MessickFarmEqu said:
The only thing to watch with the GR's to to make sure your hydraulic fluid levels are full, or even a touch above full. There are exposed transmission components right below the low mark on the dipstick, there is little margin for error. Other than that its a great tractor!

Thanks for the tip.Wonder who makes the hydro for these tractors and the output torque rating.What would be a near equivalent to a Tuff-Torq hydro?

Update,
I mowed again today and the traction problem is definitely cured.It will climb the shorter 30° slopes with no slippage at all.The longer runs over 12ft it starts lugging the engine pretty hard,so I just mow the longer ones going downhill.

This is a fantastic piece of equipment.If I could put a Simplicity deck on it,it would be perfect :)

locknut

/ Need feedback from Kubota GR series users #10  
locknut said:
Thanks for the tip.Wonder who makes the hydro for these tractors and the output torque rating.What would be a near equivalent to a Tuff-Torq hydro?

Kubota builds all their transmissions except for those in the T-Series.