RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
I just picked up a floor model JD 130L lawn tractor for a nice price, and so far I am happy with the machine. However, I'm finding the RIO (Lawyer) switch annoying as my JD 4200 isn't saddled with one.

Since we don't have kids or pets, I'd like to disable the RIO switch to eliminate the nuisance factor for me. I'd like to do something a little more polished than put a piece of duct tape over it to keep the switch engaged. I can easily get to the switch and I was thinking of disconnecting the switch and putting a jumper wire in the plug to make the circuit continuous.

Has anybody done something similar? Or is there some silly solenoid that will burn out from constantly being energized?

Thanks!

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch #2  
I think most people just use a jumper. On my X320 I found the switch that is pushed in by the reverse pedal and adjusted it back so that the pedal arm doesn't push it in. That way you don't have to worry about burning anything up from being jumpered.

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch
Good suggestion MFD480! I'll look for something similar on my L130.

Thanks for the fast reply too!

Last edited:
   / RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch #4  
MJNCAD,
I see that you were looking to disable the "Lawyer" Switch on your X series. By chance, would that be a similar setup for a GX325? I'd like to rid myself of the "lawyer" as well. I don't have any children and have been using a Cub Cadet that has the option turned off and never had any mishaps with it.
I'm just looking for some guidance as to where the switch is or solenoid that I need to disconnect or adjust to turn this off. (Personally...I think the Lawyer himself probably had the "Switch" turned off.) Any information would be great! Thank you!!!

Fortress GX325

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch
Welcome Fortress:

I see the GX325 is a discontinued model, so I'm not familiar with it. However, if there is a RIO switch on the dash; then the following links show how I disabled the "Lawyer Switch" on my L130 lawn tractor.

Picasa Web Albums - Matt - John Deere L1...

Now if you are looking to bypass the "Operator Presence" switch, which is under the seat; this is how I did it on my 4200 CUT.

Picasa Web Albums - Matt - John Deere 42...

In both cases, 2" - 3" of 18 AWG - 16 AWG wire and a couple of 1/4" male quick connect terminals and you are good to go.

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch #6  
I think most people just use a jumper. On my X320 I found the switch that is pushed in by the reverse pedal and adjusted it back so that the pedal arm doesn't push it in. That way you don't have to worry about burning anything up from being jumpered.

I have just joined this forum, as I have bought an '08 X360 J.D. & have just used it for the first time today. If I was use to the RIO, it would be fine, but with no concern, (kids, pets, etc.), I see no reason to attempt remember to use it. Sooo many times today I found myself driving across my yard thinking I was mowing, but not so! This mower is much quieter than my old LX-176, which did not have this feature. And I have enough to think of w/o having to remember to hold up the PTO switch each time I touch the reverse pedal! So do you suppose the X360 has the same setup that the X320 has? I have not gone looking for the switch yet, but will tomorrow! I like all the other safety features, and am use to them, but this one is going too far! Any help anyone has with this would be appreciated. Thanks. Do you all do photos of things? A pic of what I'm looking for & where would be extremely helpful.

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch #7  
This method does also work for LA135....I'd bet all L100 series & D100 series using the little button on dash would work equally well. I just pulled off the wiring connector from RIO switch and inserted a jumper in the connector to replace the switch. use 3-4" long 18-14 gauge stranded insulated wire with male push on crimp connectors on each end & insert into the connector under the dash. I didn't bother so far with removing the switch. for new operators you could tell them to push the button and observe that nothing is in the reverse path before proceeding. USE CAUTION!!

I see the GX325 is a discontinued model, so I'm not familiar with it. However, if there is a RIO switch on the dash; then the following links show how I disabled the "Lawyer Switch" on my L130 lawn tractor.

Now if you are looking to bypass the "Operator Presence" switch, which is under the seat; this is how I did it on my 4200 CUT.

Picasa Web Albums - Matt - John Deere 42...

In both cases, 2" - 3" of 18 AWG - 16 AWG wire and a couple of 1/4" male quick connect terminals and you are good to go.[/QUOTE]

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch #8  
Wow! The "safety police" that prowl this site must have been on an outing to a safety seminar today...7 posts in a row and no replies trying to tell you how morally bankrupt you are for not wanting to use all the features designed to protect you from yourselves.