my five options

/ my five options #1  

GaryS

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 & LA525
I have a brand new Craftsman that I'm giving to my father tomorrow. I have big hills and difficult terrain. While the Craftsman is a decent mower, my yard is going to kill it.

I need a better solution. As I see it I have five options:

1) Have someone else cut the grass,

I don't have an estimate, but I assume it'd be between $100-$200 per cut. This eliminates all machine and maintenance costs and lets me focus on beer.

2) Cub Cadet 2542 - $3k

This has a shaft driven hydro but I worry that Cub Cadet is owned by MTD which has a terrible reputation. I view this as a 5 year machine.

3) Kubota gr2100 - $7600

A nearly perfect machine for me: Pros: AWD & diesel. Cons: I do wish I could get a smaller deck and the clearance under the rear axel is very small. I view this as a 20 year machine.

4) Walk behind mower - $3000

Something like a mid-range Scag. I think I read somewhere that this is about the best option for hills. This is a pure "cut grass" option.

5) Buy a used one - $2k -> $5k

I've looked all season for a good, used JD318 or 455. I've not found one. I have seen a few on eBay but I'm not crazy about buying off eBay. The only other 318 I saw had a snow blower and the guy wanted $3400 - too much for a used one.

I need to make a decision in the next week and as you see, I'm all over the map. I had talked myself into the CC but now lean towards trying to find a way to make a deal on the Kubota. $8k to cut grass just hurts.

Any thoughts or comments?

/ my five options #2  
1) $400 minimum per month for say, 7 months, $2800 minimum per year. ( I don't know how long the Pa mowing season is). $220 per month would get you into one heck of a nice mowing machine that most likely wouldn't need much more than oil and blades for 5 years. Figure another $250 for the 5 years of blades and oil.

2) Someone else will have to chime in on the CC's.

3) The Kubota's are nice if the ergo's fit you, but if your even considering 1, you could finance a bigger Deere, NH, or Kubota and get a service contract so you can focus on beer. (See second sentence in 1).

4) If you plan on only mowing with the machine, this sounds like a real good option too.

5) Used is an option too. Less beer time maintaining a used tractor though.

/ my five options #3  
GaryS said:
I have a brand new Craftsman that I'm giving to my father tomorrow.

So, you and you father don't get along I take it.

/ my five options
Gatorboy said:
So, you and you father don't get along I take it.

In these uncertain times, it's reassuring to know some things don't change!

Actually, the machine did a decent job and if I didn't have so many freaking hills, it would have done the job nicely for me. I truly understand that a Craftsman isn't at the same level as a diesel Kubota or Deere but it's 1/7th the price.

My father needs a machine and this thing will fit the bill perfectly for him. He's got a regular, mostly flat quater acre lot which is perfect for this machine.

/ my five options #5  
Morning Gary.
You mention big hill mowing...I would stay clear of splash oil system...Toro does make nice rider also.

/ my five options
neverenough said:
3) The Kubota's are nice if the ergo's fit you, but if your even considering 1, you could finance a bigger Deere, NH, or Kubota and get a service contract so you can focus on beer. (See second sentence in 1).

Which Deere are you referring to? The X500 series doesn't seem to fir at all: 2wd, belt drive, gas engine - and the X700 series is really expensive! The cheapest X700 is over $10k.

/ my five options #7  
I think you are looking at the Cub product in way too much of a negative light if you think a 2500 series is a "5 year machine". They run Kohler Command motors, and have a fully servicable transmission. They are more like a 15-20 year machine if taken care of.

/ my five options
gamble77 said:
I think you are looking at the Cub product in way too much of a negative light if you think a 2500 series is a "5 year machine". They run Kohler Command motors, and have a fully servicable transmission. They are more like a 15-20 year machine if taken care of.

Maybe you're right - I hear folks swear by them but being owned by MTD is a real concern. I had myself talked into the 2542 and it would be a no-brainer if it wasn't for MTD.

In your opinion, will the 2542 do well on hills?

Last edited:
   / my five options #9  
The Cub Cadet 2500 and 3000 series machines are TOTALLY different from the rest of MTD's line. They still have cast iron rear axle housings, shaft drive, and compare well to the pre MTD Cubs. If the 2500 series will do what you want, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. If your budget will handle the $7600 Kubots, then I'd seriously look at the Cub 3000 series as you can get that with a front blade and/or a snowblower for about the same money. It's an excellent machine that offers a lot of capability. If the hills are your biggest problem, then you might want to consider the Simplicity Prestige with its locking rear differential for better traction, still cheaper than the Kubota. Simplicity - Prestige

/ my five options #10  
GaryS said:
Which Deere are you referring to? The X500 series doesn't seem to fir at all: 2wd, belt drive, gas engine - and the X700 series is really expensive! The cheapest X700 is over $10k.

Don't forget carbed too. I was just saying you could get a lot of tractor for that $220 a month. You could get any Deere, NH, Kubota garden tractor for the cost of #1. While I'm sure the GR is a fine machine, I'm not sure the "U" shaped chassis is all that much of an improvement over a Craftsman chassis. To me, it just doesn't look like the GR is meant for rugged terrain. The G series looks pretty tough though.