Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon!

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #21  
The motor on my '69 Simplicity Yeoman 726 died in '98. What a piece of junk /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif. Only 30 years of service and had to change the oil every year. Hope yours lasts as long /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #22  
i mowed with a small one back in the early 70's. worked fine, we bought a gravely some years later[wanted some garden tractoring and a wider cut].
no complaints though, it ran and mowed fine.

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #23  
ncman, check out simpletractors.com, great helpful bunch that border on fanatical on simplicity and allis chalmer lawn & garden tractors.
Billfires

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #24  
I think the J.D. line of lawn and garden tractos is the way to go. I bought a 318 new in 1990 and have put 500 hours in it mowing about 1.5 acres and plowing a average size driveway. So far I have spent $120. Had to replace power steering cylinder so I am well satisfied. Go for the hydro package so you can enjoy power steering and infinate speeds. Good Luck

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #25  
Those old JD lawn tractors just don't want to die, do they Paul? My JD111 is 18 years old this Spring, keeps on running just like the way when I brought it home new. Wife wants me to sell because we have larger JD425 (also runs great). But, now I'm thinking these oldsters may be entering vintage category and worth keeping, provided they keep operating. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #26  
Bought my Kubota G1800 in 1999 for $5200. It has a 3-cylinder diesel, came with a 52" belly deck. Have worked it hard and have almost 1500 hours on it. It is a beauty of a machine. I especially like the diesel. It is quiet, and has a most pleasant low tone. Only minor problems over the years, mostly operator error and lack of timely maintenance. With a good battery, it has NEVER failed to start for me. Yes, it cost more than the ones that are sold at Lowes, Home Depot and such, but it is worth every dollar. Whatever brand you get, buy the best, and never regret you did.

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #27  
Speaking of Lowes I was out there today. They have a Husqvarna front mower. 16 hp brigs, hydrostatic, flip up deck $3000. Pretty nice.There is a lot to be said for front mowers. I thought husqvarna was a better brand than Lowes.

Chris

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #28  
I noticed that Lowes is now handling Cub Cadet Riding mowers. I looked at them and they seem much more substancial than the Jd that I own. They had heavy metal hoods. Looks like a well built machine.

p.s. I'm still sore about the $195.00 cheezo plastic hood on my jd that crumbled into many pieces./w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif