Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon!

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #1  

ncman

Tractor
Simplicity Broadmoor
What a great forum! Never would have guessed something like this existed outside Consumer Reports.

I'm looking for a quality lawn tractor. I have about 1 acre of gently sloping lawn to mow. I think bagging is out of the question; I'd like to mulch most of the time. No snowthrowing or ground-engaging, but I'd like a cart to haul mulch around and maybe a spiker and spreader. I think, overall, it'll be relatively light duty. However, I don't want something I'm constantly taking to the shop, and I do want something that I can realistically expect to still be mowing with in 10-15 years.

OK, that's the situation. Question: what do you buy? Thanks in advance for your input!

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #2  
We had a Wheel Horse for over 20 years. 8hp Kohler that was 100% stud. Mowed 2-3 acres, hauled lots of dirt in a buggy and 15 years worth of firewood. It's still around but after all the years of hard, hard work it was retired..it still worked just relacement time came.

Bo McCarty
Bluegrass, Pick It Up!

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #3  
Ncman,

I'm fairly new to this forum too, and have quickly learned that you will soon read about the best features of two primary lawn tractor and garden tractor lines, perhaps a few more. Deere, Kubota, Cub, and Ford will be your big players in the high-end GT market. The choices broaden for you in the lawn tractor market.

Based on your description, you probably don't need more than a 48" cut deck. The horsepower range would probably top out at 18. You could certainly get by with a few less hp since you have fairly flat terrain. Your goal of 10 to 15 years of low-maintenance service will push you towards a pressurized/filtered oil system, and water-cooling adds dramatically to engine life. You should look for hydraulic deck lift, auto tranny, and power steering as a big plus for your prolonged satisfaction.

You can find new tractors from both Kubota and Deere that will fit your needs perfectly. Kubota's T1760 and TG1860 more than fit the bill. JD's LX 288, GT2XX, and 300 series would be your best bet if you were my neighbor /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I went with the pricier Deere 400 line because of my needs and local dealer commitment. That's not to say a Kubota dealer is less committed, but in my area the nearest "orange" dealer is 50 miles away and has a bad reputation. Case closed for me.

If you buy one level above your needs, you will not regret it. If you buy two levels above your needs, you earn the rights to post in the "My X is better than your Y" forums here and all over the internet!

Happy hunting,

Pete

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #4  
ncman
Checkout Steve Carvers post on end of season used tractor sale. There are a couple of tractors and mowers that may fit you needs. Click here.

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #5  
JD LT Series $2ooo-$3ooo
JD LX Series $3ooo-$45oo
Cub Cadet 2000 Series (NOT the 1000 Series)$25oo-$45oo
Toro 1744 HLX $28oo
Simplicity Broadmoor $3ooo-$35oo

If these are beyond the budget let us know and we'll list some good ones that are less $$$.

Bob

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #6  
I have had positive result with my Ingersoll 3014 also. I went thru the progression until I got to something that could handle my needs. I absolutely tore up a craftsman. Then beat up acouple of snappers/toro until I bought the ingersoll. I use the garden tractors to pull a york rake in the sand (I run a membership club on a lake). I also had a dumpcart that I would load up with anything (wet leaves, sand ,gravel ,etc) then pull it all over the place. The other tractors would have trouble on the hills. I just bought a kubota B2910 so that will be taking over the larger bull work but I`m keeping the ingersoll for mowing and small jobs. The ingersoll is hydro drive also. The other lawn tractors metioned are good tractors also. You can also purchase the extra valve kit and can run some hydro implement off the back of the tractor. It comes down to how u will use it and the availbility in your area.

Attachments

• 16-95264-ingersoll.jpg
    16-95264-ingersoll.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 664
   / Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #7  
I have to agree with Paul. As an owner of a Ingersoll 444, and a Ingersoll 224. If you want a tank that can handle a TON of work, look into these. Most people have never heard of them, there is not a big dealer network, but if you find one take a look.

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #8  
Here is a pic from the brochure. My friend has one of these and it is a solid piece of iron!!!!!
J

/ Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #9  
second try.

Attachments

• 16-95488-Solid1.jpg
    16-95488-Solid1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 381
   / Help a New Guy - Important Purchase Soon! #10  
here is the spec sheet if ya can see it.
J

Attachments

• 16-95489-Solid2.jpg
    16-95489-Solid2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 251