SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #1  

orgt

Bronze Member
Like many other people who don't have 10 grand or more to put into one of those yummy new diesel tractors I'm trying to make a short list of quality SHAFT tractors (I mean by that a shaft between tranny and motor, and a shaft-driven mowing deck, anything else like PTOs front or back would be of course really nice but aren't a must at this point for me. Diesel would be super sweet!) A used tractors is not a problem as long as it's got low hours and has been well maintained. "Older" tracs are fine as long as there's some kind of consensus on model X being so good and reliable that YOU would buy one even now <G>.

I have two financial scenarii for those who might ask:

Low $$ (now and next few months): 2K

High $$ (high for my wife and I anyway, $$ in possibly by the Spring wish us luck LOL): 6K

I thought I'd start and share a short list based on my current (and very limited) knowledge of all those brands. Ideally I'm looking for a minimum 54 in. deck. Amongst new machines it seems only Cub Cadet sells affordable shaft-driven tracs but one wonders if the competition might take them on with their new 2007 lines (any birdies out there?)

I hope to get lots of input from all of you tractorheads. I think this thread might benefit lots of other folks who like me are tired of belt-based garden tractors. I now realize that I pretty much wasted twenty five hundred dollars with the last one I bought. Had I put that money into a shaft tractor I'm pretty darn sure it wouldn't need to be replaced after a few years...

Here it my draft list. Please chime in, what would YOU recommend? And if a model had a "bad year" due to flaws that made it a dog, please mention that too! Other than that, all makes/models welcome, thanks for any contribution!

Let's make this short list as good as we can, if I goofed up I'll be happy to remove any model:

Cub Cadet GT3200
Cub Cadet GT2554
Cub cadet 3185
Cub Cadet 3235

Kubota GR2100
Kubota GR2000
Kubota GR1900
Kubota GR1800
G5200H G6200H
G5200H G5200H

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #2  
On the Cub side you are mixing and matching and comparing discontinued models. You asked for Shaft for drive and attachments - the GT2554 dosent have the attachment shaft feature. The 3185 & 3235 have been replaced by the 3100 & 3200 models

Cub Cadet GT2554
Cub cadet 3185
Cub Cadet 3235

As for whats up in 2007 - I guess know ones knows until then

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list
ducati996 said:
On the Cub side you are mixing and matching and comparing discontinued models. You asked for Shaft for drive and attachments - the GT2554 dosent have the attachment shaft feature. The 3185 & 3235 have been replaced by the 3100 & 3200 models

Cub Cadet GT2554
Cub cadet 3185
Cub Cadet 3235

As for whats up in 2007 - I guess know ones knows until then

Thanks Duc (great bikes by the way, when I was younger I was dreaming of owning a Ducati!) and sorry if the post wasn't clear. Shaft attach isn't a MUST at this point although it'd be nice, and we would definitely consider used/older models as long as they aren't real dogs, hence the 3185 & 3235 making the list. In fact, it's entirely possible to find shaft Cubs from the generation before those with very low hours, although I'm not clear on the model #s. Heck I recently saw a listing locally for a (belt) tractor that was 12 years old and had less than 100 hours!

I checked a whole bunch of posts from a year ago, looks like some (real nice) birdies started chirping about the 2006 models right around Sept-Oct 2005. That helped some folks a lot, especially those who were looking at 2000 series with that crappy muffler design for example.

To be honest I'm quite surprised that so far cos like Kubota or JD haven't competed with Cub's 2000-3000 series price-wise. Their equivalent machines are several thousand dollars more (new of course.)

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #4  
You could be looking for the 3204 as well which is the same as the 3100 but without the annoying reverse lockout thing. You just bend a tab under the reverse pedal but thats only if you find one.
I find the 3000 series to cut the best and offer some of the best features over older Cubs - I do like the older machines but dont like the mule drive days at all....

I think the Kubtoa Gr2100 is somewhat priced near the 3200, and that has both shafts. Otherwise its the Cub 5000 series

ducati996 said:
You could be looking for the 3204 as well which is the same as the 3100 but without the annoying reverse lockout thing. You just bend a tab under the reverse pedal but thats only if you find one.
I find the 3000 series to cut the best and offer some of the best features over older Cubs - I do like the older machines but dont like the mule drive days at all....

I think the Kubtoa Gr2100 is somewhat priced near the 3200, and that has both shafts. Otherwise its the Cub 5000 series

OK great, this is one of those models I wasn't aware of (many more out there I'm sure!) I'll add the 3204 in the next updated list (planning on doing this every so often if more folks help out putting the list together)

The GR2100 is a "drewl-machine" that we couldn't consider new because it retails for over 8K from what I could find. But a used one is definitely still on my mind, that would be great (but then so would a BX1850 which would also allow me to do all kinds of other things on the property, one can always dream LOL.)

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #6  
As far as older models, NH sold some GTs, both gas (Kohler) and diesel (Shibaura), that would meet your requirements. I don't recall model numbers though, but it would be prior to their being in bed with Toro. I remember looking at them probably 10-12 years ago; sturdy, well-built machines. Didn't end up with one 'cause the CFO couldn't see the need for a $6500-$7000 "lawn mower." Instead, I bought a CC2185; worst mistake I ever made!

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #7  
The "Deere list"

Used 445-455's can be had in the $6000 and below range. 445 gas, 455 diesel. Less than 300 hours, is pretty much new.

You look to be on the right track with the CC's, they seem to fit well, in your criteria.

dbear said:
As far as older models, NH sold some GTs, both gas (Kohler) and diesel (Shibaura), that would meet your requirements. I don't recall model numbers though, but it would be prior to their being in bed with Toro. I remember looking at them probably 10-12 years ago; sturdy, well-built machines. Didn't end up with one 'cause the CFO couldn't see the need for a $6500-$7000 "lawn mower." Instead, I bought a CC2185; worst mistake I ever made!

Hi dbear too bad you don't have an exact model but thanks anyway, hopefully soemone will and I will add it, but it sounds like you and I have had the exact same experience with LEBJ (low-end belt junk) tracs. Is it a waste o' money or what!

Hey, your mention of the "CFO" really gave me a good chuckle.

Thanks, I saw a couple shaft Cubs on sale at a dealership this AM too, here is the UPDATED LIST OF SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS:

Cub Cadet GT3200
Cub Cadet GT2554
Cub cadet 3185
Cub Cadet 3235
Cub Cadet 3204, 3206

John Deere 445
John Deere 455

Kubota GR2100
Kubota GR2000
Kubota GR1900
Kubota GR1800
G5200H G6200H
G5200H G5200H

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #10  
1*I now realize that I pretty much wasted twenty five hundred dollars with the last one I bought.
2*Cub Cadet
3*Kubota

----->>
......>>>

1*Must have got it at a box store or it was an MTD.
2*Any thing built by MTD scares me after my Power Craft lemon.
3*Kubota is one I plan on looking into along with New Holland John Deere and Simpliicity.

MY First Car
http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg
Our First Car
1960 Chevy Impala Convertible, Classic Car Pictures

orgt said:
Like many other people who don't have 10 grand or more to put into one of those yummy new diesel tractors I'm trying to make a short list of quality SHAFT tractors (I mean by that a shaft between tranny and motor, and a shaft-driven mowing deck, anything else like PTOs front or back would be of course really nice but aren't a must at this point for me. Diesel would be super sweet!) A used tractors is not a problem as long as it's got low hours and has been well maintained. "Older" tracs are fine as long as there's some kind of consensus on model X being so good and reliable that YOU would buy one even now <G>.

I have two financial scenarii for those who might ask:

Low $$ (now and next few months): 2K

High $$ (high for my wife and I anyway, $$ in possibly by the Spring wish us luck LOL): 6K

I thought I'd start and share a short list based on my current (and very limited) knowledge of all those brands. Ideally I'm looking for a minimum 54 in. deck. Amongst new machines it seems only Cub Cadet sells affordable shaft-driven tracs but one wonders if the competition might take them on with their new 2007 lines (any birdies out there?)

I hope to get lots of input from all of you tractorheads. I think this thread might benefit lots of other folks who like me are tired of belt-based garden tractors. I now realize that I pretty much wasted twenty five hundred dollars with the last one I bought. Had I put that money into a shaft tractor I'm pretty darn sure it wouldn't need to be replaced after a few years...

Here it my draft list. Please chime in, what would YOU recommend? And if a model had a "bad year" due to flaws that made it a dog, please mention that too! Other than that, all makes/models welcome, thanks for any contribution!

Let's make this short list as good as we can, if I goofed up I'll be happy to remove any model:

Cub Cadet GT3200
Cub Cadet GT2554
Cub cadet 3185
Cub Cadet 3235

Kubota GR2100
Kubota GR2000
Kubota GR1900
Kubota GR1800
G5200H G6200H
G5200H G5200H