RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch - Update

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch - Update #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
In my post http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/lawn-garden/86461-rio-reverse-implement-option-switch.html regarding the RIO (a.k.a. Lawyer) Switch, I asked if anyone had disabled theirs for convenience.

MFD480 suggested I move the pedal activated switch back from the pedal linkage to avoid activating it. I took MFD's advice to look for the switch; but in my L130's case, I didn't see much opportunity to move it back far enough to keep the pedal from activating the switch and killing the engine.

Back to "Plan A", which was to remove the dash mounted RIO switch and install a jumper wire. This worked like a charm, and is easy to do. The hardware store had plenty of 3/4" black nylon hole plugs to fill in the hole in the dash where the switch was. If need be, I can put the RIO switch back in and have it operational in 5-minutes.

From what I can tell, the reverse pedal activated switch is Normally Closed allowing current to flow to keep the engine running. Activating the switch makes it Normally Open and without electricity to the engine, it stops. The dash Mounted RIO switch is Normally Open until one presses it prior to going into reverse with the mower deck operating.

For safety's sake, I placed a voltmeter on the wires with the engine off, and the circuit with the jumper is dead when the ignition is off. So I'm not to concerned about burning something out now.

Again, since we have no kids or pets, the RIO switch was more nuisance than it is worth. If you have kids and/or pets, only you can decide if the disabled RIO switch is a good thing or a bad one.

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch - Update #2  
mjncad said:
If you have kids and/or pets, only you can decide if the disabled RIO switch is a good thing or a bad one.

nothing like trying to legistlate responsiblity
rolleyes.gif

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch - Update #3  
Danged if a wire did not fall off of my rider within hours after buying it. I of course had to tape it up to be sure it did not short out to anything or get tangled up in machinery, that would be a safety hazard.
Ben

/ RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Switch - Update
schmism said:
nothing like trying to legistlate responsiblity
rolleyes.gif

Isn't that the truth! That's why there are so many stickers, labels, decals, doo-dads and other nonsense on the products we buy to protect us from ourselves.

I bought some sort of simple tool a few weeks back and the majority of the manual was all the safety warnings, etc that I estimate 70% was lawyer mandated stuff and the remaining 25% was on how to use the tool, and the remaining 5% was congratulating me on my wise purchase and the warranty.