Tow behind batwing mower

/ Tow behind batwing mower #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
Thought some folk may be interested in the mower I made over about 2 months this summer.
Its got Wheelhorse blade mandrels, blades and pulleys. The engine is a Briggs I/C 10HP, its a bit of a monster really, plenty or torque. The rest is home made.
It'll cut 30" folded up, and 56" folded down.
There are lots of pics from building here

/ Tow behind batwing mower #2  
That's a nifty project,
but a lawyers dream.

let me guess, when the side wings are folded up,
those blades still turn?

ouch

/ Tow behind batwing mower
No, they dont, that would be dangerous. ;)

/ Tow behind batwing mower #4  
i guess so...........
:D

/ Tow behind batwing mower #5  
I take it you're going to put some kind of blade shield/housing for safety and quality of cut. If you hit a rock or chunck of wood, it will be something to behold (from a great distance).

The guarding that is on there is the guarding it has. I'm going to be building a cab with mesh on the rear of the tractor to keep stuff hitting me.

Quality of cut isnt an issue, the idea is just to cut as much junk down as quick as possible.

I might put some guarding down the sides as that might help prevent it clogging up. Putting guarding on the front and back of the cutters would mean that the grass would be knocked down before it got cut so it wouldnt cut as well. The way it is, as soon as it gets cut its thrown out so less HP is used.

It'll mow up to 14" over ditches. With banks I just put the duals on the tractor and drive across them if they are too steep to go on normally.

/ Tow behind batwing mower #9  
Morning Mith.
Hey that's pretty cool idea you got there...and I would have to agree about some sort of protection...your back side must be every shade of green when your done mowing.

/ Tow behind batwing mower #10  
Mith said:
With banks I just put the duals on the tractor and drive across them if they are too steep to go on normally.
*******I'm not talking about banks you can drive on.
I'm talking about banks 4 to 12 feet high and nearly straight up and down.