Grass cutting - what length for winter?

/ Grass cutting - what length for winter? #1  

Dusty

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx22
Just finished my last cut before winter. I cut it at 2" and the leaves will blow across the grass without getting caught in the grass. I was wondering if this might be too short. What length do you make the final cut at??? thanks Dusty

/ Grass cutting - what length for winter? #3  
i mowed my short...

/ Grass cutting - what length for winter? #5  
LBrown59 said:
I've left it any where from 1 to 6 inches.
Never noticed much if any difference.
That's because you will be mowing it in February anyway. :p

My last cutting of the year will be this weekend. I will be cutting low and going over it twice, with the second cut perpendicular from the first, to mulch my remaining leaves.

The short grass also reduces the possibility of snow mold.

LBrown59 said:
I've left it any where from 1 to 6 inches.
Never noticed much if any difference.
The difference is about five inches. :D :D :D

Last edited:
   / Grass cutting - what length for winter? #6  
AndyM said:
That's because you will be mowing it in February anyway. :p

My last cutting of the year will be this weekend. I will be cutting low and going over it twice, with the second cut perpendicular from the first, to mulch my remaining leaves.

The short grass also reduces the possibility of snow mold.

The difference is about five inches. :D :D :D

So who needs a snow blower in such tropical weather?
I'm not worried about
moldy snow!
How'd ya guess ?

/ Grass cutting - what length for winter? #8  
I didn't see where you are located, but you can mow grass short during the winter. It doesn't grow much - not at all when it gets cold enough. You do want to let it grow a bit longer in heat. The important thing (year round) is to keep from cutting it too much at a time (no more than about 1/3 of the total existing length). You don't want to put it in to shock, especially when it is going dormant or when it is experiencing heat stress.

/ Grass cutting - what length for winter? #9  
The grass blades are the solar panel that energizes the roots, never cut lower than 2.5". NO CHARGE :D