Propane gopher torches

/ Propane gopher torches #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Hi folks, trying to decide between two different brands of gopher hole bangers.
Anyone out there with experience on either the "Rodenator Pro" or the Rodex, 4000,5000 or 6000?
Which of the two brands are most trouble free?

thanks again,
george

/ Propane gopher torches #2  
George: I can't help you on the brand, but I wonder what your research showed about setting these things off when schedule 40 or thinner PVC pipe runs thru the hole. Will this break the pipe or not?

Joe

/ Propane gopher torches #3  
When the Rodex is used at the local vineyard, it sounds like a cannon going off. Don't know how close your neighbors are??

/ Propane gopher torches
Hi Marks, we are on 43 acres with vineyards for neighbors so noise should not be a problem.
Joe, on if the blast will break pvc lines crossing the gopher runs; I honestly don't have a clue. However, I would guess that the strength of the explosion and the closeness of the pipe and flying rocks would make the call here.
These propane units are big bucks ($1,875) so I am hoping to get a neighbor to split the cost of one. Leaning to the Rodenator although Rodex has three models with the cheapest one at about $1,400 and big daddy at $1,850.

cheers,

/ Propane gopher torches #5  
Keoke said:
These propane units are big bucks ($1,875) so I am hoping to get a neighbor to split the cost of one. Leaning to the Rodenator although Rodex has three models with the cheapest one at about $1,400 and big daddy at $1,850.

Have you ever seen any plans for a homemade one?

I have a few rodents to try it on, but at that price I will wait patiently with a .220 Swift

/ Propane gopher torches #6  
For a few gophers on a few acres (10 acres?) I would go with traps. I have had good luck with the black hole traps. Now there is a black box trap..newer version which I prefer. You get a body count and there is no negative environmental impact as with poisons. I have no experience with propane but it sounds a bit pricey and traps work very well.

I dig until I find the main run which is usually about 6 to 12 inches down from the feeder hole and set two traps, one for each direction as you don't know which side the gopher is on. Then cover the traps with a palm leaf or a piece of plywood to keep the light out. I get the gopher within a day at least 50 percent of the time.

One gopher makes a lot of holes so there are probably fewer of them than one may think.

If you have them don't wait. The runs will be used by new gophers so it is better to get them before they get too established.

Zeuspaul

/ Propane gopher torches #7  
No practical knowledge about the bangers. Agree with the traps and the 50% rule, though I just use the plain old [small] pocket gopher traps. Also agree with committing your life to keeping after them. I also use smoke bombs, road flares and a cheap/effective mix of chlorine granuales and amonia ... creates a nice toxic cloud :)

/ Propane gopher torches #8  
HomeBrew2 said:
and a cheap/effective mix of chlorine granuales and amonia ... creates a nice toxic cloud :)

Whoa, that is what I call "Living Dangerously!!"

If you really want something that is guaranteed to knock everything dead first time everytime, try this:

In a bucket of 2 gallons of Formaldehyde, toss 2 pounds of Potassium Permanganate.

Be sure to have on your asbolute best track shoes, one slip getting outathere and your dead..... :eek:

/ Propane gopher torches #9  
Hi. I have a LOT of experience with Propane/Oxygen gopher killers, as I have a business here in Western Wyoming. Here we have mainly the Idaho Pocket Gopher. My Rodex works perfectly, and effective. Check out TractorByNet.com | John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, and more!
I can probably answer most of your "Blaster" questions, and save you $$ should you want one.
Got a new (to me) TC45D, and will carry the unit on the tractor to get the varmints soon as I see 'em!!
Avatar shows me having fun, making $...

/ Propane gopher torches #10  
zeuspaul said:
For a few gophers on a few acres (10 acres?) I would go with traps. I have had good luck with the black hole traps. Now there is a black box trap..newer version which I prefer. You get a body count and there is no negative environmental impact as with poisons.

Agree on the Black Hole traps. A real plus is that the trap is inside a tube and my sweet idiot Lab won't lose her nose if she digs one up :)