Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD-970

Default Propane gopher torches

Hi folks, trying to decide between two different brands of gopher hole bangers.
    Anyone out there with experience on either the "Rodenator Pro" or the Rodex, 4000,5000 or 6000?
    Which of the two brands are most trouble free?

thanks again,
    george
    George (keoke)

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1998 JD 770 & 2004 Toro LX417

Default Re: Propane gopher torches

George: I can't help you on the brand, but I wonder what your research showed about setting these things off when schedule 40 or thinner PVC pipe runs thru the hole. Will this break the pipe or not?

Joe

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 870

When the Rodex is used at the local vineyard, it sounds like a cannon going off. Don't know how close your neighbors are??

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD-970

Hi Marks, we are on 43 acres with vineyards for neighbors so noise should not be a problem.
    Joe, on if the blast will break pvc lines crossing the gopher runs; I honestly don't have a clue. However, I would guess that the strength of the explosion and the closeness of the pipe and flying rocks would make the call here.
    These propane units are big bucks ($1,875) so I am hoping to get a neighbor to split the cost of one. Leaning to the Rodenator although Rodex has three models with the cheapest one at about $1,400 and big daddy at $1,850.

cheers,
    George (keoke)

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Quote Originally Posted by Keoke
    These propane units are big bucks ($1,875) so I am hoping to get a neighbor to split the cost of one. Leaning to the Rodenator although Rodex has three models with the cheapest one at about $1,400 and big daddy at $1,850.
    Have you ever seen any plans for a homemade one?

I have a few rodents to try it on, but at that price I will wait patiently with a .220 Swift

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330****RTV 900

For a few gophers on a few acres (10 acres?) I would go with traps. I have had good luck with the black hole traps. Now there is a black box trap..newer version which I prefer. You get a body count and there is no negative environmental impact as with poisons. I have no experience with propane but it sounds a bit pricey and traps work very well.

I dig until I find the main run which is usually about 6 to 12 inches down from the feeder hole and set two traps, one for each direction as you don't know which side the gopher is on. Then cover the traps with a palm leaf or a piece of plywood to keep the light out. I get the gopher within a day at least 50 percent of the time.

One gopher makes a lot of holes so there are probably fewer of them than one may think.

If you have them don't wait. The runs will be used by new gophers so it is better to get them before they get too established.

Zeuspaul

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

No practical knowledge about the bangers. Agree with the traps and the 50% rule, though I just use the plain old [small] pocket gopher traps. Also agree with committing your life to keeping after them. I also use smoke bombs, road flares and a cheap/effective mix of chlorine granuales and amonia ... creates a nice toxic cloud

Tractor
    Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew2
    and a cheap/effective mix of chlorine granuales and amonia ... creates a nice toxic cloud
    Whoa, that is what I call "Living Dangerously!!"

If you really want something that is guaranteed to knock everything dead first time everytime, try this:

In a bucket of 2 gallons of Formaldehyde, toss 2 pounds of Potassium Permanganate.

Be sure to have on your asbolute best track shoes, one slip getting outathere and your dead.....
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow......GO Diesel GO!

Tractor
    NH TC45D

Hi. I have a LOT of experience with Propane/Oxygen gopher killers, as I have a business here in Western Wyoming. Here we have mainly the Idaho Pocket Gopher. My Rodex works perfectly, and effective. Check out TractorByNet.com | John Deere, kubota, New Holland, and more!
    I can probably answer most of your "Blaster" questions, and save you $$ should you want one.
    Got a new (to me) TC45D, and will carry the unit on the tractor to get the varmints soon as I see 'em!!
    Avatar shows me having fun, making $...
    "9-11, MORE KILLED THAN AT PEARL HARBOR"

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by zeuspaul
    For a few gophers on a few acres (10 acres?) I would go with traps. I have had good luck with the black hole traps. Now there is a black box trap..newer version which I prefer. You get a body count and there is no negative environmental impact as with poisons.
    Agree on the Black Hole traps. A real plus is that the trap is inside a tube and my sweet idiot Lab won't lose her nose if she digs one up
    Kubota BX24, Big Bee 4' RC, 4' BB, Markham toothbar, Bro-Tek skid plates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast