40 Christmas trees

/ 40 Christmas trees #1  

oscer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110
My wife brought home forty Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees from Lowe's this morning they're all potted,two different sizes.She paid $101.65 for the lot of them.We were planning on replacing a hedge with evergreens in the spring any way so this seems like a good price I just hope they live in the pots all winter. The ground isn't frozen yet,maybe I should get to work on it now but I know that hedge is gonna pull out a lot easier in the spring. The reason I'm posting this is that in the past I haven't had much luck growing evergreens, any advice would be appreciated.

/ 40 Christmas trees #2  
Oscer,

There is no trick to growing evergreens in Central PA. Plant them and watch them grow. Alberta Spruce's are pretty hardy and shouldn't require any special attention in your area.

You should not leave them in the pots unprotected over the winter. If it gets cold enough outside the roots can freeze in those small pots. If the roots freeze the plant dies. If you can't plant them now then you should set the pots somewhere where you can put mulch around them to prevent the roots from freezing. Put the pots in rows and put mulch all the way up to the top of the pots.

Good Luck,
Jeff

/ 40 Christmas trees
I haven't got any mulch but what if I bury them up to the top of the pots in the loose garden soil, Probably be the same results, huh?

/ 40 Christmas trees #4  
Dang good purchase your wife made,for our Lowe's store also sold the same trees but no discount what so ever. :(

/ 40 Christmas trees #5  
those grow veerrryyy slow, never seen them grown as a hedge, but yeah one heck of a price, can you plant them next to the currrent hedge and rip out old one in the spring, make sure they receive lots of water b4 the ground freezes

/ 40 Christmas trees #6  
Yes, burying them in loose garden soil will keep the roots from freezing. You will need to get them out of those pots as soon as you can in the Spring. Make sure you dig the holes at least twice the diameter of the pot and at least as deep as the pot when you permanently plant them.

/ 40 Christmas trees #7  
oscer said:
My wife brought home forty Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees from Lowe's this morning they're all potted,two different sizes.She paid $101.65 for the lot of them.We were planning on replacing a hedge with evergreens in the spring any way so this seems like a good price I just hope they live in the pots all winter. The ground isn't frozen yet,maybe I should get to work on it now but I know that hedge is gonna pull out a lot easier in the spring. The reason I'm posting this is that in the past I haven't had much luck growing evergreens, any advice would be appreciated.

quote]
I Had about the same idea about 32 years ago
I now have 6 big Pine Trees I wish weren't there.
If I had it to do over I would never have planted them.

/ 40 Christmas trees #8  
oscer said:
My wife brought home forty Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees from Lowe's this morning they're all potted,two different sizes...

How tall do they get?

/ 40 Christmas trees #9  
oscer said:
My wife brought home forty Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees from Lowe's this morning ...
You don't use them for Dwarf tossing do you? :rolleyes:

AndyM said:
How tall do they get?

I think about 6 feet