Help with new purchase

/ Help with new purchase #1  

vincent721

I have just purchased a new home that sits on just under 2 acres of land. It is solid grass. I do have trees but not that many. I have done alot of research to this point and have narrowed it down to a mower/tractor in the John Deere line. However, I am torn between a used one and and new one. As far as used goes, I am looking at a LX279 (no hourmeter but year model is 2000). The dealer wants $2250 for it. The same dealer also has a used GX345 and wants $5,000 for it. I feel that this may be a little more machine than what my needs are but it would be nice to have a heavy duty machine for moving snow as I live in Nebraska (I do have a walk behind snow thrower so this is not absolutely critical). In terms of new if I were to go that way instead of buying a used one, I am looking at the X300 series and I feel that if I went that way I would be getting the X320. The LX279 has a 48" deck on it, the GX345 has a 54" and if I went with the X320 I would probably go with the 48". I am leaning towards the LX279 because I have read through some forums that the LX279 is a better built machine than the X320 and it is liquid cooled. I would be interested in opinions out there. Is the LX279 a good choice and does the price seem good as well?

/ Help with new purchase #2  
Those are all good machines. My only suggestion is to make the size of your mower deck a big factor in your decision - the bigger decks will cut the time you spend mowing. I've got a JD LX255 and it has been a tough machine and wasn't super expensive - but with only a 42" deck I would suggest something larger for you.

/ Help with new purchase #3  
Vincent,
I don't think you can go wrong with those Deere's. I'll only share with you my experience...

I just got turned on to compact diesels. I picked up a used Yanmar 155D 4x4 with loader for about $4K. It's only 15 HP, but what a difference over my garden tractor! I got it because I had some earth engaging projects to do which required a loader and a box scraper plus I don't mind tinkering with old tractors. I've since found many other uses for the loader and with the 3pt hitch I can use a chipper, snowblower, bush hog, rake, generator ...etc. I got a 48" rear finish mower for it but will have to wait until spring to try it out. If I'm happy with it, I'll say goodby to the wheelhorse. In general, I'm impressed with how well it's made and how easy it is to work on.

All this is to say that with few trees and obstacles, you may be able to get into a 60" rear finish mower and have a tool that will keep it's value better and serve you in other areas. My neighbor mows 2 acres with a John Deere lawn tractor (don't know what model, but deck size is 48") and he's out there mowing constantly just to stay on top of it.

/ Help with new purchase #4  
swedish-fish said:
Vincent,
1*I don't think you can go wrong with those Deere's. I'll only share with you my experience...

I just got turned on to compact diesels. I picked up a used Yanmar 155D 4x4 with loader for about $4K. It's only 15 HP, but what a difference over my garden tractor! I got it because I had some earth engaging projects to do which required a loader and a box scraper plus I don't mind tinkering with old tractors. I've since found many other uses for the loader and with the 3pt hitch I can use a chipper, snowblower, bush hog, rake, generator ...etc. I got a 48" rear finish mower for it but will have to wait until spring to try it out. If I'm happy with it,
2*I'll say goodby to the wheelhorse. In general, I'm impressed with how well it's made and how easy it is to work on.

All this is to say that with few trees and obstacles, you may be able to get into a 60" rear finish mower and have a tool that will keep it's value better and serve you in other areas.
3*My neighbor mows 2 acres with a John Deere lawn tractor (don't know what model, but deck size is 48") and he's out there mowing constantly just to stay on top of it.
1*I started out looking for a used JD 445 or 455 but gave it up when I discovered how hard to find and how pricey they were if you could find one.
So I switched my strategy and went with a new CC for a lot less money.
2* I'm not giving up my CC or either of the Bolens. There are things I can do with them that I can't do with just the BX23.
3* With me on the BX23 with the 60'' mmm and my wife cutting 54 inches with the CC it don't take long to mow our 2.33 acres cutting 9.5 foot wide swaths.

/ Help with new purchase #5  
vincent721 said:
I have just purchased a new home that sits on just under 2 acres of land. It is solid grass. I do have trees but not that many. I have done alot of research to this point and
*have narrowed it down to a mower/tractor in the John Deere line. However, I am torn between a used one and and new one.
1* As far as used goes, I am looking at a LX279 (no hourmeter but year model is 2000). The dealer wants $2250 for it.
2*The same dealer also has a used GX345 and wants $5,000 for it.

I feel that this may be a little more machine than what my needs are but it would be nice to have a heavy duty machine for moving snow as I live in Nebraska (I do have a walk behind snow thrower so this is not absolutely critical). In terms of new if I were to go that way instead of buying a used one, I am looking at the X300 series and I feel that if I went that way I would be getting the X320. The LX279 has a 48" deck on it, the GX345 has a 54" and if I went with the X320 I would probably go with the 48". I am leaning towards the LX279 because I have read through some forums that the LX279 is a better built machine than the X320 and it is liquid cooled. I would be interested in opinions out there. Is the LX279 a good choice and does the price seem good as well?

*I started out looking for a used JD but gave that idea up when I discovered I could get a new CC for less than a used JD.
1*2250 for a used 7 year old tractor is pretty steep compared to a new CC for 2500 to 3500 bucks.
The first JD I looked at was a used 1998 JD GX 345 with a front blade and tire chains for 3900. I turned it down because 3900 was more than it was worth and the camshaft bearing in them is plastic and I didn't want to get into a $1200 job replacing it right after plunking down 3900 dollars for the tractor.
2* $5000 for a used GX345 with just a mower looks very pricey
considering I bought my new CC with the Following for $5050
54'' mower deck
front blade
Rear tiller
AG Tires
2 suite case weights.
Now if you can get the dealer to throw in a front blade and a rear tiller for another 50 bucks the deal might be worth looking into but I still would be afraid of the plastic camshaft gear. When that gear goes out on you you're looking at a major repair bill of around 1200 bucks to replace it.