Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #1  

HappyCPE

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4320
I'm looking to cut grass. That's about it.

About 1 acre around the house, up and down the driveway, around the barn, road, etc. Generally in long strips. The ground is flat.

I don't need this machine to do anything except cut grass. Everything else, the 4320 will do.

So, what are the downsides to a Home Depot- bought JD machine? I here they aren't 'real' Deeres. My JD dealer has a 190C for $2700. Is that a good deal? Good machine? Some people curse Craftsman tractors. Why? Should I get an inexpensive zero turn? Is resale value a factor with this type of equipment?

Oh, I want to spend as little $ as possible.

I'm looking for advice, from the very beginning. I want to forget what I know [or think I know] and get the board's opinion. Please educate me! Thanks.

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #2  
I would say the major downside to the H-D bought machine would be no relationship with your local dealer. I do believe that most of the smaller lawn tractors are priced just about the same at H-D as JD dealer. I know that H-D cannot undercut the local JD dealer. I am a strong believer in having a good relationship with who you buy a major piece of equipment, it is mechanical and will break at some point.

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #3  
I forgot to add that I did buy a L118 from H-D couple of years ago and haven't had any issues. I have about 100 hours on it with no problems. Now I have a larger yard to cut and I am currently shopping for something in the SCUT arena, maybe willing to sell the L118 w/42" deck if the price was right. I was going to keep it for right around the house, but I am not real attached to it.

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice
My understanding is that the HD deeres are sold only by HD? Or is that not true? If HD can't undersell my big-tractor dealer and he can get the same machine then there's no point to going to HD.

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #5  
When I had purchased the little riding tractor the salesman said that there was some kind of price fixing from corporate JD that they could not discount the tractors, another local JD dealer confirmed this at the time. Just what I heard from those two individuals and that was a few years ago, can;t say what the deal is now. If there is a JD dealer close there really isn't any reason to go to HD in my opinion. Think HD and Lowes carry those tractors to get the uniformed impulse budget buyers, yeah I was one of them, then I found TBN.

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #6  
Why not get a little JD homeowner Z? They are nice little machines that would cut really well and be pretty fast on your property. The least one is about the same as the other machine you mentioned and for grass cutting it is the ticket. You could spend a little more and get the next one up for probably about $3500 and have a great little mower to complement your utility tractor. No, they are not a 797 or 997, but they will do a nice job for you. I would consider that first.

John M

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #7  
HappyCPE said:
My understanding is that the HD deeres are sold only by HD? Or is that not true? If HD can't undersell my big-tractor dealer and he can get the same machine then there's no point to going to HD.

Not true! HD Deeres are sold by your big tractor dealer also. If they want they(the dealer) can discount them. But they can't advertise a lower price then HD or lowes. Becouse their(HD,Lowes) price is fixed an can only be discounted if it is a close out model. But they can offer in house rebates. If you do buy from HD or Lowes you can have a relationship with the dealer that set the tractor up for them. As they(The dealer) should call you after they recieve your registration card. This is to let you know they will be the dealer to do any warranty work or repairs if you so chose.

But, and there is always a But!:( If someone were to buy something you sell somewhere else. Then bring it to you for repairs, an then someone that buys from you bring something in for repairs. Who do you think you would put in the front of the line to be repaired? even more so in thier busy season. just something to think about:rolleyes:

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #8  
We have a L120 that we bought from HD three years ago and like it a lot. We have about 300 hrs on it and it has seen some hard use. I am careful to do all the routine maintenance. As much as I like the L120 for a mower, a Z turn is probably almost twice as fast mowing as a lawn tractor is.

Ed

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #9  
I have had a craftsman 18HP GT for 14 years now and absolutly no problems other than normal , blades, belts etc. but am looking to replace it this year . either going with another craftsman or a CC from a local dealer. as you it will be used mostly for lawn mowing as the B2400 will do everything else.

/ Shopping for a lawn tractor - need advice #10  
Please read between the lines: h_o_m_e_o_w_n_e_r____Z.

John M