Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres?

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #1  

97widerider

Didn't really know how to title this one because I really have a few general (and some specific questions).

I have about 2 acres that I am building a home on. After its done, I should still have about 1 3/4 to cut. Some of it will be a final grade and as much will be kind of rough but not to bad. I have pretty much eliminated a ZTR which I hear is more of a finishing mower. I have been looking at GARDEN tracters with a nice 50" or above deck. Any suggestions on a good mower in the 5K range that would be good for this? How important is a fabricated deck over a stamped deck when dealing with semi rough terrain? Although I don't think I could use a ZTR for this, but I am open for rebutals. If so, which one.
Hustler makes a nice one for about 5K. So does Gravely.

Lastly, I have been poking around a Husqvarna 26hp Kohler with a 54" deck Garden Tracter. I don't know much about Husqvarnas except they make Craftsmans. According to Consumer Reports, Craftsman is second only to John Deere in reliability according to consumers so they must be a good mower right?

I appreciate any advice. My last mower was a push mower.

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #2  
It depends on just how rough this land is. You might need something like a brush mower to begin with (DR or Billy Goat mower for example). Once you get everything cut down you can better assess what sort of riding mower would work best. I have never used a ZTR but they look to me to be as stable as the traditional Craftsman style lawn tractors so you might not want to rule them out right away. I used a Craftsman lawn tractor to mow into rough areas before I got smart and bought a tractor with a bush hog. It is possible to do but it is tough on the lawn tractor and you will be bending and replacing blades frequently.

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #3  
I bought a new Craftsman GT500 50” cut with a 25hp Kohler to use on my 3 acres. After one season I sold it and got a Scag 48” cut with a 19hp Kawasaki. All I can say there is no comparison in the two; the Scag is a commercial unit, built like a tank, made to cut 1000 of acres of grass fast. The craftsman unit is made for the weekend home owner. If I was going to spend that much money for something to just cut grass I would go for the ZTR.

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #4  
Ditto to what CarneyM said-why not buy a used ztr that would save you some $ in the long run:D

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #5  
ZTR's ride pretty rough, my poor old back won't handle them. Saw where Cub has an new drive just like a regular rider, but is a ZTR. wonder if they are any good. A bit over 3k at the orange box store I think.

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #6  
If you have ruled out a ZTR, here are a few lawn/garden tractors that look to be the most popular in your price range:

John Deere X340- $4649.00
Cub Cadet 2554- $4199.00
Simplicity Conquest 2WD- $4925.00

For what you are looking to do, it is good that you are looking in the price range you mentioned, and not expecting to perform that kind of work with a $1000 box store lawn tractor. There are ZTR's in your price range, and if quick and easy mowing is the goal, they are fabulous. If you don't mind mowing and doing other chores around the yard too, you will want a lawn/garden tractor. You have to test drive them to find the one you like, just like buying a car.
-Fordlords-

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #7  
A 50+ deck on rough ground may be too big and cause scalping.

Ferris ZRT's have full front and back suspention for a much smoother ride over the stiff frame ZRT.

Simplicity has a nice floating decks that might work and have a superior cut quality.

/ Best lawn mower of rough 2 acres? #8  
Go for a used deere 400 seires (425,445,455) they are built like tanks and mine lasted longer than some of the tanks the army uses..... Those Deere's even used (not talking commercially used, mark down special), are superior in quality and durability to the X340's and the Cub's and the husqvarna's (or sears, or poulan's, they are all the same all made by electrolux home products which is a swedish conglomerate, they also make eureka vacuums). As some of you know, I have Grasshopper ZTR's now, they are amazing machines, and the Front Mounts ride just as good as a normal riding mower in my opinion. As previously stated, Scags are great machines, they will ride ruffer though do to the midmount mower design. All in all, I suggest trying to find a used deere 400 seires, or a used grasshopper front mounts, both are built very well, and both ride pretty nicely. Good Luck