Oil change on push mower question

/ Oil change on push mower question #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
The owners manual on my push mower suggests draining the oil thru the fill hole on top of the motor.. Obviously this involves picking and holding the mower upside down to some extent to accomplish.. Between a sorta bad back and a hernia coming on this isnt my first choice..

Is there anything wrong with draining the oil from the fill plug below the deck?? My thoughts were to pull it up on a set of car ramps so it is supported and drain away?

thoughts? Suggestions on another way to drain it from the top without the lifting and holding?

thanks

Brian

/ Oil change on push mower question #2  
Drain it through the fill hole on top, that's a new one on me. Does yours have a drain plug in the bottom? If so I would drain it from there, it is afterall the "drain plug". You have to remember that some engineer setting behind a computer wrote the service manual, sometimes I get the feeling their not the brightest bulb in the pack. :D

/ Oil change on push mower question #3  
Definitely easier to drain it from underneath. Just remember to pull off the spark plug wire so if you inadvertantly move the blade, you don't accidently start the mower while your hands are underneath. Remember to reattach the wire when you are done.

/ Oil change on push mower question #4  
thatguy said:
The owners manual on my push mower suggests draining the oil thru the fill hole on top of the motor.. Obviously this involves picking and holding the mower upside down to some extent to accomplish.. Between a sorta bad back and a hernia coming on this isnt my first choice..

Is there anything wrong with draining the oil from the fill plug below the deck?? My thoughts were to pull it up on a set of car ramps so it is supported and drain away?

thoughts? Suggestions on another way to drain it from the top without the lifting and holding?

thanks

Brian

I've seen them done that way before. Generally the oil fill tube is opposite the carburator side of the engine. You can lean the mower over on its side with the oil fill tube on the bottom and drain it. That causes you to still turn the mower 90 degrees... but it will prop itself up and that way you don't soak your air filter with gas. But if there is a drain plug at the bottom... I don't see the need in doing that.

/ Oil change on push mower question
I did the deed tonite.. But ended up placing it on some car ramps and tilting it over.. In order to get to the bottom drain plug you had to take a the blade and then couple shields off..

thanks

brian

/ Oil change on push mower question #6  
I think a lot of the mower makers recommend draining from the fill tube for safety reasons, as mentioned it prevents accidental starts by people turning the blade to get at the bottom drain. Also after time the bottom drain plug gets covered with a lot of debris, making it difficult to remove.
-Fordlords-

/ Oil change on push mower question #7  
Hah - yet another use for my Pela extractor...

Quick, Easy & Clean Oil Changes with PELA Products

I bought one a couple years ago for my VW diesels - much easier to do a topside oil change with these cars as they have a full skid plate.

I've used the Pela unit for many other things since - great product with many uses.

Will work great for lawn mowers too.

/ Oil change on push mower question #8  
thatguy said:
I did the deed tonite.. But ended up placing it on some car ramps and tilting it over.. In order to get to the bottom drain plug you had to take a the blade and then couple shields off..

thanks

brian

had the same problem with my self propelled walk behind. had to remove the blade a few shields AND THE rear wheel drive system, a real PIA bout a hand suction pump form NAPA (i think) adaped smome small tubing to it and suck it out the fill port have been doing this for about 6 years now and no problem.