Country Clipper "The Boss"

/ Country Clipper "The Boss" #11  
Thought I would give you an update.......

Bought 2 of these mowers. 353 hours on the first one.....blown motor. I have to source a new engine for it or pay the dealer $3000 to put a new engine in it. The FD731v engine on line are around $1200 shipped.....tells you what the mark up and labor are. But cheaper than buying a complete new mower.

Second mower has 498 hours.....lots of trouble. Expensive upkeep. Just dropped $1500 on this one to replace deck bearing, electric clutch and some other items.

The both ran good for about 250 hours then just lots of trouble. I just expected better for high end mowers and liquid cooled engines. Dealer support is not real great either, you spend lots of money and still problems. I performed I thought owner service on them with oil and filter, greasing bearings, plugs, and such but....

Sorry to hear that as far as the engine can't really blame country clipper for a kawasaki engine problem. thats the same engine used on lots of mowers and the preferred brand amongst most pro's. Bearings do occasionally fail especially if you've ever hit anything hard rocks concrete etc. I know the spindle bearings they use are pretty large having looked at them. These are probably a generic timken bearing that cost less than $50 and a couple hours labor.
PTO clutches do wear out but the hours seem kind of low. The one on my dads Ingersoll garden tractor can be adjusted for running clearance. His first lasted 850 hours but since its also used for yard cleanup snow removal etc probably not cycled nearly as much. Sounds like your dealer is charging insane labor rates. $1800 labor to install a motor seems a bit much

/ Country Clipper "The Boss" #12  
I have a 72" BOSS with a Kohler engine. I love it.

I do have one complaint though. My deck is supposed to lift up for cleaning and maintenance. I have followed the the manual step by step on how to lift the deck with the manufacturer supplied jack, and it DOESN"T WORK! The back tires of the tractor lift before the deck swings upward. I see that CC has now gone to an electric lift. Humm, wonder why?

I am not a professional mower, but my mower gets used plenty. I have not replaced a single part on it in the two years I've had it. Not even a belt. Mine is a 2007 model. The previous owner barely used it, so it was in new condition but several years old when I got it.

/ Country Clipper "The Boss" #13  
Sorry about your problems. Do you know what kind/grade of gasoline has been used?
My friend had to rebuild a Briggs early. I try to buy Amoco Ultimate gas for my small engines. Hard to get non-ethanol gas around here. I feel there are only two places to buy diesel fuel in Eastern Iowa in winter. Couple more being built now.

Dan

you probably saw this engine 26 HP KAWASAKI LIQUID COOLED ENGINE FD731V-BS07

/ Country Clipper "The Boss" #15  
Is your 72 in mower like my 60 in the way it cleans? If so, I can do a little video on how to raise deck for cleaning. I have a 2007 Boss that is 60in. It took me a minute when I got mine to figure out how to get it up for cleaning and blade changing. My mower has 498hrs on it and the Kawasaki 26hp motor has given me fits this summer. Seems like I spend half my time going back and forth to the shop.

/ Country Clipper "The Boss" #16  
Dave, what were the issues you started having with the engines on your mowers? I have an 07 Boss with 498hrs and now I'm having engine issues with loping (rev up and down and running for while then simply shutting down).

/ Country Clipper "The Boss" #17  
Is your 72 in mower like my 60 in the way it cleans? If so, I can do a little video on how to raise deck for cleaning. I have a 2007 Boss that is 60in. It took me a minute when I got mine to figure out how to get it up for cleaning and blade changing. My mower has 498hrs on it and the Kawasaki 26hp motor has given me fits this summer. Seems like I spend half my time going back and forth to the shop.

I think they are all supposed to lift up the same way for maintenance. It could be that my 72" deck is heavier and that is why it is so difficult. Either way, I'd love to see a video of how you do it. Thanks!

/ Country Clipper "The Boss" #18  
I got to thinking about it after I sent the message. Another 12IN of deck is going to be really heavy. I'm not the strongest guy, but it's about all I want to lift by myself. Sometimes I get my petite wife to stand on the back as a counterweight. A heavier person would definitely help. So I've got issues with my mower not wanting to run and mow for more than 5 min at a time. Right before I finished tonight, I heard some cracking sounds and my rim on the left side (looking from rear of tractor) gave it up. So, I ordered a replacement rim off ebay. It may take a couple days for all that to come around, but I'll try to get the video and either post on YouTube or send you a link you can view it on a blog or something. I'll have to get my wife to help with the video piece. :laughing: